Kelsey2017 - Folk Art Farm's journal

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
About 10 miles from the North Shore of Lake Superior and about 20 miles from Duluth MN. We are lucky enough to be a zone 4 here due to the lake.

2. How many people are in your family?
I have four children ages 10, 7, 4 and 2 and am recently divorced. I do have a wonderful boyfriend that I have known for sometime now.

3. How would you define your farm?

I am trying to create a balanced farm that will take care of my family. We raise chickens for meat and eggs, have ducks and turkeys, sheep and horses and are going today to pick up our first foray into cattle- a bred Jersey/Shorthorn heifer.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

Have a brand new livestock barn built for cattle and have a small milking building built. - DITTO, DITTO Hear hear!

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building?

I have been a carpenter since I was a young lady and could build anything I needed if only I have unlimited resources.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

No, but I have always wanted to learn. My Boyfriend does though and our neighbor borrows us the equipment.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?

I guess it would be my impression of my family (Great Grand parents) homesteading and making it though so much, and my parents not having done that. I don't like to see the way my mother has become such a consumer and takes things for granted. I don't want the latest version of the Iphone I want that good old technology that kept people alive. I want my kids to value those things.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?

I think of it as a hobby that feeds and sustains us.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?

I know horses best and chickens good. I love all animals and learn what ever I can!

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?

Confinement operation - Ditto, and any gardening that requires chem fertilizers or pestisides

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?

Yes- that is why we keep adding different animals to the farm, so we can be diverse and not over tax anything because of mismanagment.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

What outside world? I love my farm on a dead end road, who needs to leave?

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

Tractor, yes. Semi, no.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items?

When I have time, I can sew and knit. I also paint and re-purpose things.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at?

Yes, we have 2 off the track horses, 2 Shetlandish sheep, 8 mostly BR turkeys, 7 Black Swedish ducks, a couple stragglers from the meat bird pen, 14 Norwegian Jearhons, and after 10am today a Jersey/ SHorthorn heifer.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

Have not

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

We try to grow a large vegetable garden.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

Bait

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
Currently on a small farm of about 10 acres

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?

No degree but no novice.

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

I don't really have a specialty, trying it all and getting good at one thing at a time. I would love to start a school, teach community ed classes or just run a vacation type day care.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

N/A

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

Not as a hobby. Just for work or projects around here. My boyfriend is a real craftsman though and does beautiful work with wood.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?

I do use essential oil remedies and natural thing when ever possible

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

Right here but I would buy the neighbors other 60 acres

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

I grew up with a wood stove and will use one when I build my own house. I have always wanted I dual fuel cookstove.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?

Myself but I never get tired or run out of money!

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?

I do most of the work but we all enjoy them. Everyone likes the farm food though.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I am a nut about cooking. I don't use recipes much and have learned how to cook from scratch well. I love to feed my family simple unprocessed food, especially the kind I grow and care for and harvest. We are trying for raw milk this coming spring with our new heifer.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?

A little 2 week old Alpine doe. She was both. I never got such a kick out if an animal before, she also was unfortunatly a reminder not to jump into things. She died after having her only three days. I won't get a just weaned anything ever again. Start with something more forgiving whenit is your first time. RIP- Lirra

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

I deer hunt and grouse hunt.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?

Stubborness

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?

Yep all that stuff

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm?
n
No not yet

35 What is on your to do list?

Get off the computer and go get our heifer!

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?

No and yes

37. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?

Yes

38. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits

It has made me very grateful and and caused me to get up real early!

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a new heifer today! Look forward to reading your journal. :)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the heifer. Looks like she has good rib spacing which is a good sign for a milker.

Love the horns but you need to train her not to rub on people. Had a horned jersey do this once and hooked my jacket. Very good thing she was calm and didn't flip her head or I would have been airborne.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah the plan is for the horns is to go, although I read about gluing Kongs on them! It make sense but they need to go because I want the children to be able to handle her. Here are some pictures of our newest additions. Three of the four that have hatched so far. The males are much lighter color and you can sex them at birth! If I get a bunch of boys I will try and raise them to a cornish hen size (1lb) on gamebird feed and see what happens.
78476_014.jpg

78476_015.jpg

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love the chicks, so cute. I can't wait to read your Journal and good luck with the cow! I'm so jealous!

CYG

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Good Luck with your new Heifer. And the chicks are so precious. :)