Khaleesi's Kidding Thread - Babies Born!!!

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone :frow. I'm back. No, no offence taken AT ALL....oops, sorry, just been really busy. The 9 kids had their long summer school break of 2 1/2 months. You can imagine how draining that has been LOL. (I have to keep reminding myself why I'm doing all this).

Anyway - the goaty kids are doing extremely well. They are growing like weeds and are little chubby piggies!

This is just a quick note to say "hi". I've got a bit on tomorrow, but I'll try to get back here asap and post some photos too.

But, just before I go, I have a question please. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? My silly goats keep jumping up and trying to stand in their feed bins attached to the wall and they've now broken several!! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks friends. Talk again tomorrow. :hugs

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I had this too. I was suggested to take a cattle or hog panel and make a hoop over top of it so their heads go in but they cannot get on top of it. Thankfully I just sent my one who was doing that to a pet home so no more issues. Good luck and glad to hear from you again!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome back! Good to hear that all is well. Not sure what type/style you're using for a feed bin... Are you talking about "feed" or hay? Could you perhaps show us a picture of what you're doing/what you mean?

If feed (pellets/grain), you could just as easily use a bucket on the ground for when that's provided to them, or a wall mounted feeding trough that is only wide enough for them to get their mouth in, but not stand in. If you're talking about hay, there are many different designs on the site that allow them to get their heads in to drag hay out to eat (generally from the side or even the bottom), but prevent them from being able to get on top of it or in it. When you have the top open for loading, you'll want the opening high enough that they can't jump high enough to get into it.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
LOVELY to hear from you! :D I definitely understand being too busy to spend time on the "interwebs". It has been like that around here lately, too.

I can't add anything worthwhile to what @Latestarter said. If none of the remedies on the site are helpful, maybe some pics can help us help you come up with a solution. :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear from you! How is Khaleesi? Did you get her wormed? What did you use, this is good info that could help folks that are in the same situation as you!

About the feeder...sounds like goats being goats LOL

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi again...my goodness....I said I'd be back the following day and it just didn't happen. No excuse for not keeping everyone up to date, just been super busy (re-newing visas, obtaining work permits, taking 2 of our boys to get registered with government for special needs education, oh and 2 days ago our 8 year old was stung by a scorpion)...

I've attached a video of the goats, and also some photos of the plastic feeders that I had attached with screws to the walls inside their 'shed'. The goats have jumped on them and ripped them off the walls! (Babies actually, not Khaleesi). I've changed to feeding them all out of individual bowls on the floor. Of course the babies still stand all over those and so they probably won't last long. They're such mischiefs!!!!!!!

I did end up worming Khaleesi with Kelemectin, and I gave the babies Baycox cocci prevention.

It appears that there really is very little in the way of medications/vaccinations available for goats here in Thailand. I cannot get Coppasure, or most other things that are often recommended on this forum for the good health of goats. :( Right now, we're just hoping that they will be ok without the extra supplements etc. You can see from the video that they are really healthy. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

At what point would you suggest that I separate Jabari (white boy) from Khaleesi and Aaliyah?

Hopefully this video link works :)
[URL='http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/angelathailand/20160531_092113_zpsu9sorycr.mp4'] [/URL]

food bucket 1.jpg food bucket 2.jpg

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know that Nigies and a couple other breeds are fertile as early as 6 weeks or so. Also, the presence of a fertile male will make the does fertile, as well, but with rutting breeds I don't know much. I think Sam is probably right. I would go with 4 months max, unless you get better info from some of the more experienced crowd. @Southern by choice, @Goat Whisperer, @babsbag, @Goatgirl47 what do you say?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine would be out of there by 10 weeks ( standard breed).
I left one in til 12 weeks once and man oh man was I nervous!
Nigerians and mini's are out by 8 weeks.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I on the other hand leave them together until the does start to cycle and in No. CA that is usually the end of August. But I have never had Nigis until this year and my mini bucklings are making me question my practice of leaving them together. The problem right now is that the only space I have for my bucks is with a standard Alpine and a standard Lamancha which will certainly bring trouble for the ND and the minis when rut starts in earnest in Sept. I need more pens.