1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kid Concerns

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by bethh, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Apr 23, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

By the time they finish that they will be on feed and hay. Ugh $30 shipping. Yeah, horse people don't know goats.

I won't speak for ridgetop but sometimes mucous can be a sign of too much milk and having issues with the lining... at what (how much and how often IOW) you are feeding this shouldn't be the cause.

Rammy likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2019
    bethh

bethh Loving the herd life

These are all the things I have for them. The milk carton is what I was giving.

Attached Files:

3. Apr 23, 2019
    Southern by choice

All of those things are fine. :idunno I do know many say the land o lakes milk replacer is better but you haven't been using that anyway.

Rammy likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2019
    bethh

I forgot to include the electrolytes. I will just have to give them a few days and see.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 23, 2019
    Southern by choice

Why did the vet think they needed electrolytes?
    How are you giving it? Replacing a milk bottle or....?

6. Apr 23, 2019
    bethh

She thought it wouldn't hurt since the poop is runny in case they are loosing too much fluids. Its in addition to their bottles.

7. Apr 23, 2019
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop True BYH Addict

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought bethh said they were passing white mucus in their stool. If they are tiny, yes keep them on 3 bottles. If they are drinking all that milk, why do they need electrolytes? If they are on a good quality replacer it should have minerals in it so no need for extra minerals. Probios are good for an upset stomach. You can also give a little kaopectate.

Can you get any alfalfa hay? We are west coast so the most common hay we have here is alfalfa. Our kids and lambs begin mouthing it at several weeks and love it. But definitely try giving them chopped hay. It has the benefit of no waste, so the difference in price for feeding babies would be negligible. If they are bouncing and playful, they sound healthy. I would weigh them every week to make sure they are gaining. Maybe they are just slow to eat the hay because they are full of milk. Are they in a pen that is near the older does where they can see them eating? If so, move the does' feeder of hay near the fence where the babies are penned so that they can watch the does eating. Maybe it will give them the idea. Our lambs started nibbling hay before our goat kids of the same age, probably because the ewes are eating that stuff with enjoyment. The lambs nibble to see what it is.

Rammy and Stephine like this.
  8. Apr 24, 2019
    Carnivore CarryOut

Carnivore CarryOut Just born

GIving probiotics changes the gut PH She said above she was putting them in their bottles. That could be your issue. Please try to find out what is causing the runs instead of adding more to it. Go back to basics and see if they get normal stools again.

Ridgetop likes this.
  9. Apr 24, 2019
    bethh

Alright, to catch you up, they’ve not had normal poop since I got them. Always runny, soft. Not water that I’ve seen. They did a course of dimethox as advised by the breeder form April 11-15 with probiotics. Once the dimethox was complete, I continued the probiotics to help build good flora in their system. Probiotics shouldn’t cause stomach issues or runny poop.

Southern by choice likes this.
  10. Apr 24, 2019
    bethh

I have alfalfa for them. They don’t have any adults to learn from. They are our first goats.

Southern by choice likes this.