Kid Concerns

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a question/concern about our kids, Dixie and Tipsy. They will be 4 weeks on Sunday. They get 3 bottles a day. They aren’t interested in the Timothy hay, pellets or minerals that I have for them.

Tipsy has the white tail so often I see staining from wet poop. When I was just down there feeding them, I noticed that Dixie appeared to have white, thick discharge. I tried to get a picture of it but couldn’t hold her and take the picture. Once my hubby is home, I’ll try again if there is more there. Also, Tipsy sneezes a lot when she eats. I don’t notice it other times.

Is this normal for 4 week old kids— liquidy poop and the white discharge (I’ve only seen this the one time). But Gracie and Chewy are very good at keeping them cleaned up.

Should I be concerned that they aren’t eat the pellets, minerals and hay? Will they when they are ready?

These are my first goats. Thanks for any and all help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, runny poo is not normal. They may be getting too much by bottle.
You said you are feeding 3x day. How much in the bottle? What are you giving them by bottle?

The sneezing may be from taking too fast. Sometimes they won't be interested in hay, feed til they need to start transitioning.

If it looks mucous like it could be from the milk or could be coccidia.
Are they on prevention?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, runny poo is not normal. They may be getting too much by bottle.
You said you are feeding 3x day. How much in the bottle? What are you giving them by bottle?

The sneezing may be from taking too fast. Sometimes they won't be interested in hay, feed til they need to start transitioning.

If it looks mucous like it could be from the milk or could be coccidia.
Are they on prevention?

They get 8oz 3 times a day. They just finished a round of dimethox plus probiotics.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Organic cow’s milk, not sure if the organic part mattered

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the pellets that goats have. I haven’t seen them poop and the dogs are great about cleaning them. I guess it’s been 3 days that I’ve noticed the staining on Tipsy. I really thought liquid going on, liquid/soft coming out. But wanted to make sure I was right. They are bouncing around playful.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They should have pelleted poo. I recommend getting some powdered goat probiotics and putting it in their bottle.
You can try some chopped hay- This is very good stuff... pricey but good.

https://ateraknutrition.com/products-and-services
Metabolic Miracle

016.JPG