Kid Concerns

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I contacted them to purchase the metabolic miracle but after talking to her she said I needed the duration. I didn’t have enough information as to why so I went with what she recommended. I hope it’s helpful for them. It cost $30 to ship it to me. It’ll be here in a few days. They received colostrum from their mom when they were first born after that cow’s milk. I guess I’ll order the metabolic miracle also.

By the time they finish that they will be on feed and hay. Ugh $30 shipping. Yeah, horse people don't know goats.

I won't speak for ridgetop but sometimes mucous can be a sign of too much milk and having issues with the lining... at what (how much and how often IOW) you are feeding this shouldn't be the cause.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These are all the things I have for them. The milk carton is what I was giving.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 86

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of those things are fine. :idunno I do know many say the land o lakes milk replacer is better but you haven't been using that anyway.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to include the electrolytes. I will just have to give them a few days and see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 79

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She thought it wouldn't hurt since the poop is runny in case they are loosing too much fluids. Its in addition to their bottles.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tipsy has the white tail so often I see staining from wet poop. When I was just down there feeding them, I noticed that Dixie appeared to have white, thick discharge.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought bethh said they were passing white mucus in their stool. If they are tiny, yes keep them on 3 bottles. If they are drinking all that milk, why do they need electrolytes? If they are on a good quality replacer it should have minerals in it so no need for extra minerals. Probios are good for an upset stomach. You can also give a little kaopectate.

Can you get any alfalfa hay? We are west coast so the most common hay we have here is alfalfa. Our kids and lambs begin mouthing it at several weeks and love it. But definitely try giving them chopped hay. It has the benefit of no waste, so the difference in price for feeding babies would be negligible. If they are bouncing and playful, they sound healthy. I would weigh them every week to make sure they are gaining. Maybe they are just slow to eat the hay because they are full of milk. Are they in a pen that is near the older does where they can see them eating? If so, move the does' feeder of hay near the fence where the babies are penned so that they can watch the does eating. Maybe it will give them the idea. Our lambs started nibbling hay before our goat kids of the same age, probably because the ewes are eating that stuff with enjoyment. The lambs nibble to see what it is.

Carnivore CarryOut

Just born
Reaction score
GIving probiotics changes the gut PH She said above she was putting them in their bottles. That could be your issue. Please try to find out what is causing the runs instead of adding more to it. Go back to basics and see if they get normal stools again.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
GIving probiotics changes the gut PH She said above she was putting them in their bottles. That could be your issue. Please try to find out what is causing the runs instead of adding more to it. Go back to basics and see if they get normal stools again.
Alright, to catch you up, they’ve not had normal poop since I got them. Always runny, soft. Not water that I’ve seen. They did a course of dimethox as advised by the breeder form April 11-15 with probiotics. Once the dimethox was complete, I continued the probiotics to help build good flora in their system. Probiotics shouldn’t cause stomach issues or runny poop.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought bethh said they were passing white mucus in their stool. If they are tiny, yes keep them on 3 bottles. If they are drinking all that milk, why do they need electrolytes? If they are on a good quality replacer it should have minerals in it so no need for extra minerals. Probios are good for an upset stomach. You can also give a little kaopectate.

Can you get any alfalfa hay? We are west coast so the most common hay we have here is alfalfa. Our kids and lambs begin mouthing it at several weeks and love it. But definitely try giving them chopped hay. It has the benefit of no waste, so the difference in price for feeding babies would be negligible. If they are bouncing and playful, they sound healthy. I would weigh them every week to make sure they are gaining. Maybe they are just slow to eat the hay because they are full of milk. Are they in a pen that is near the older does where they can see them eating? If so, move the does' feeder of hay near the fence where the babies are penned so that they can watch the does eating. Maybe it will give them the idea. Our lambs started nibbling hay before our goat kids of the same age, probably because the ewes are eating that stuff with enjoyment. The lambs nibble to see what it is.
I have alfalfa for them. They don’t have any adults to learn from. They are our first goats.