Kid (s) die within 36 hours

Studmunchkins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My doe just lost her 3rd baby (twins almost a year ago) . All were healthy with no issues, nursing, she giving milk . The first two we were gone, I had the dates off by two weeks. There were many factors that could have contributed to their deaths then. This time I was ready. (granted I was not really wanting her pregnant this soon after other births, but the buck who jumped the fence 141 days ago had other ideas) She delivered in the clean warm milk house. 1/31 at 11:20pm I stayed with her during birth as did her favorite (daughter)companion. I removed her companion after the birth when momma was irritated. I stayed with her and the kid 5 hours after birth making sure kid nursed regularly, mom gave milk, everyone warm clean and alert.
I was back checking on both at 8AM all well. The kid sleeping so I roused and put to nursing again, just in case. I cleaned up the bit of mess mom had left. Doe went outside for a few minutes not venturing far and calling back at the kid regularly. I checked on them regularly all well. Late in day doe went out again and the kid followed, I stayed and watched them the kid passed merconeum first BM mom didn't catch and clean up. . I replaced the blankets and bedding with hay. do was peeing a lot and hay easier to move out. Old hay we use for bedding the goats and horse won't eat. I stabled them around 6pm Kid nursed. Went back to them at 10 pm all well. Caught up on sleep and was back to check at 8AM 2/2, the kid is dead. One other merconeum bm on floor. Kid laying in almost sleeping position, not as close to mother as usual. Doe watching and upset when I picked him up. No diarrhea, eating, no fussing, no lethargy, protested when picked up, responded to does calling. Healthy. I took to vet for necropsy . there are two vets in our area that treat goats, the one most recommended was not able to make appointment. Not sure of the vet I hired for this. He reported the kid had pus in his stomach. He said the bacteria passed through the umbilical. He stated these kids need iodine on umbilical and a shot of penicillin to prevent this. I asked where this bacteria from? The mother? He stated the bacteria in the dirt. This raises question because this baby was born in very sanitary non dirt conditions, compared to others. Others he too believes died from same infection, since they died in same manner, healthy and within 36 hours.

This is not joint II, Everyone I have spoken with about this who have livestock and some with goats, have never heard of this One ND goater though maybe it was colliseptisemia, which could be. He could have gone septic in the 10 hours I did not check on them. I am just not sure if the umbilical not having iodine though makes sense ? Has anyone had anything like this happen. If it as simple as iodine and penicillin I may consider more breeding. If we still in some kind of limbo, and iodine and penicillin won't prevent or possibly mother passing something I can not continue to do this to the doe and myself. IMG_0616.jpeg

I hate my ignorance has caused the demise of these kids.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard that that can happen.... infection can wick up through the umbilical cord...

I do not know how common it is....