Kid with possible leg problems

Life liberty

Just born
Reaction score

This goat was rejected by his mother and was about to die without interventions. After getting his body temperature up and giving him colostrum for the first day, he seems to be having problems with his front legs. I'm not sure what it means or if it's normal of far from it. I hope to find the cause of why this is and hopefully find a way to treat it if need be.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had one that had trouble with a back leg for the first day and after a day she seemed to work it out. How old is the kid?

Also @Goat Whisperer will be much more help than I.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's normal for the legs to be a little weak after birth, but your guy is almost walking on his pasterns. It's not just his front legs either- it's all of them.

Do you have a vet you could talk to? Are you in a selenium deficient area? How old is he? Has he had any improvement?

I would talk to your vet about doing low doses of selenium. BOSE (the selenium) is Rx and requires a vet.

Welcome to the forum :welcome

Life liberty

Just born
Reaction score
I live in Idaho. He is two days old and still acting the same. Unfortunately, I don't have a vet but I can find one.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree a vet would be best.
Meanwhile since mom rejected him take some sea kelp (powder form- found in the equine section of your feed store I like "Source" brand) Mix it up in some water or milk if you are getting it from mom.... maybe a pinch or two... feed to kid. Do this 2x day for the next 3-5 days.

Let the vet know you are giving this. The vet will likely want to give the selenium.

Life liberty

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you guys.

Oh, and I just remember. Is it a cause for concern when the kids feces are stringy as in long like a worm, sticky, and brown

Life liberty

Just born
Reaction score
He is a twin and his sibling doesn't show any of the same signs as he does

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first poop is usually black and like tar
Then after a few days it turns yellow

And it's possible for one twin to have a deficiency and the other not
Have it

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's normal for the legs to be a little weak after birth, but your guy is almost walking on his pasterns. It's not just his front legs either- it's all of them.

Do you have a vet you could talk to? Are you in a selenium deficient area? How old is he? Has he had any improvement?

I would talk to your vet about doing low doses of selenium. BOSE (the selenium) is Rx and requires a vet.

Welcome to the forum :welcome

Very true

Life liberty

Just born
Reaction score
So the little guy still has trouble staying standing up recently. His right back leg leans out and his other foot leans in. He'll fall with his back legs spread out behind him.

Is it possible that they need to be splinted?