kidding a couple of months apart?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
During the breeding season, a number of our does were bred, came back into heat, and subsequently bred again. However, we now have 3 that kidded off a much earlier breeding than anticipated. In 1 case, the doe was bred again in 3 subsequent/consecutive heat cycles.

Now, one of the does (Oberhasli/Togg mix) that kidded in February is getting huge. Is it possible for a doe to get pregnant off of multiple breedings and have kids a couple of months after the first kids? Just to clarify, our bucks do not run with the does and the doe has not been exposed to the buck since kidding.

Cherryfizzle

Just born
Reaction score
I don't think that is possible but, I know that in dogs sometimes there are puppies born that seem to be much bigger that the rest and my opinion is that the dog got bred, and then bred again, so that some pups are about a week or do older. However I've never heard of a goat giving birth and then giving birth again a little while later.

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is possible to have 2 kids born *during the same kidding* that were conceived 3 weeks apart. It actually happens quite often in herds were the buck is left to run. A lot of people call one a "runt" or a "cull" not understanding what has taken place. However, the truth is it may actually be the tougher of the 2 (seeming it is 3 weeks premature and surviving!). Sometimes due to being a preemie, they will be much smaller, possibly have a weak suckle reflex, or may have what looks like 'rubber leg' syndrome, but not always. I have had some of these, and they are behind a short while and then catch up. Also... It is possible to have "sire-A" breed a doe, and then a few hours or a few weeks later "sire-B" covers the same doe... You may have 2 kids born (in the same kidding) of different sires!
:ep