Kidding?! Patches has tricked me before! (Pic Heavy)

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all! I have gotten so much GOOD info off this site and although I have raised bottle weathers for years, I finally made the leap and have register Boar Nannies. Problem is that I have no idea when they are going to kid.
I bought them from a local farmer who had suffered a heart attack and just couldn't take care of them as he wanted to. He just let them run with the Billy and said they kidded out on pasture and these were in their 3rd and 4th pregnancies. (two were four and one is five).
Here are some pics, I this is my first kidding and I am JAZZED! I thought she was going to kid a week ago, but tonight when I went out to check on her the udder had EXPLODED and she didn't want me to touch her. (Very unlike my Patches!) She also scraped all the bedding out of her hut. I read they like to kid on dirt. I think she knows best and I am not going to bed it back down.
Advice appreciated. I have read ALL the books, picked anyone who has raised goats' brains, but I am almost as scared and nervous as I was when I had my own first child!
573_012.jpg

573_015.jpg

See her bony butt? I knew to expect this from my research, but it STILL came as a suprise! Little girl looks like I don't feed her!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
just wait until she has unloaded the kids, she will look skinny and miserable and neglected!

they are notorious for kidding in dust and/or mud. both if they can manage it. its a good idea to dip the umbilical cord in iodine if she does kid on the dirt

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Fantastic! Thanks for reminding me of that. I have that in my "kit".

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:thumbsup Ooooh yeah, you've got 12 hrs, +/-!! I bet she has no ligs - look how her belly is dropped and she appears emaciated. That's always how I know on mine, when they look so poor. I've only got a couple chubbo's that don't do that.

:pop

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
THANK YOU!
I was wishing you'd hop on and help me out! Thanks helms!
So should I haul my redhead up and check her in the middle of the night?!

(Can you tell I am pretty excited?!)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yup, time to start the vigil. Have you checked her ligs? If they're gone...well...she's keeping you up all night.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If you're like me and you go sit with her, watch for her to hunch her back and her rear legs should get post straight - these are standing contractions. When that starts, I don't leave. She'll also prolly dig a lot, get up and down a lot, and if she has the prelabor contractions laying down, she'll stick a hind leg straight out from under her...

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes!
But when I go out she looks so comfortable and then I seem to make her nervous! (I can handle the rejection...).but I don't want to force my presence upon her.
I gave her some more hey, even though she had plenty and she seemed to really like that.... then I just sat away and she never came up and butted me like she normally does.

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Her ligs are gone about 100% more than when I thought they were gone!
So obviously I am a "first time mom".

I am really loud by nature, and when I came up to her really quietly, she was skittish. When I JUST checked on her and I was "Hey baby girl!" she calmed down.