Kidding pins

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Question on kidding pins. Do you have yours built on dirt or on top of a wood flooring with straw down? I am looking at building a 8 x 8 kidding pin but was thinking about putting it on dirt with straw down on top of that.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dirt is fine.
Our barn has process fill in it, which is a fine rock. But after a while it looks basically like dirt.
We have 4 inside the barn approximately 8x8

IMG_1230.jpg

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to build one in the near future. May be getting a Doe that's already bred.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine are on dirt with straw but this last year I started putting down stall mats with straw on top, makes it easier to muck out. Mine are only 5x5, but I am kidding our about 40 does so they don't stay in them long and I muck them out between every doe.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've divided up the horse stall and that's dirt with shavings and this round we actually just let them kid in our Nigerian/baby pen which is all dirt with straw in the lean-to barn. (weather was 60-75 with no rain, so no need to lock anyone in.) Of coarse one dug a hold through the straw and dropped those cute little babies right in the dirt.

I think stall mats do make a nice addition for the middle of the pen if you want to keep them out of the dirt and they do make it easier to clean!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our pens have 2 walls and 2 open sides, but, where I'm at it's more important to keep cool than warm. Most of the year we're HOT.

That being said we have tilted roof with drainage runoff and dirt floors. They kid on straw that's immediately replaced by fresh pine shavings. Stalls are mucked as needed and we let them out for exercise. All four stalls have a built in run, the run is 6x12. The stalls are 6x6.