Kidding question...Is she going into labor??

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Or nothing was really going on and the goat is fine. What one person thinks is a push may be a stretch to someone else. Maybe what they thought was goo really wasn't. Who knows. None of us are actually looking at the goat. ;)

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you must know, I am a full time college student, and was there from 730am until 10pm yesterday. I dont see the need for rude comments. I came on here for advice, but I have not been home, so havent responded.
I honestly dont think what I was seeing was what I thought it was. I am new to goats kidding, and I could have just been over excited/worried about her kidding. She most likely was just re-adjusting and getting ready.
I said, in I think it was my third post, that there is that possibility that it was a "fake" pregnancy. She went through all the motions, then nothing. I cant help if I miss judged the due date, or the possibility that the goat is a nut (lol sorry, but I think she is).

I am not going to call the vet if an animal is not in pain or distress. She is normal, and nothing else has come out. She only passed the goo consistantly for about an hour.
If she seems to be upset about something, or weird stuff starts passing, then I will call the vet, but until then, I am going to go with my judgment of not calling. She has been fine all week. If anything, she looks less pregnant.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When babies line up in the birth canal, then the goat can look less pregnant. The goo could have been just her breaking the mucus plug in preparation for kidding. Is her udder filling with milk or full and tight? I really don't think she is faking her pregnancy with the signs you've described; just not quite ready yet.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is good to know! My mum keeps saying just wait, there is something, but I havent been too sure lol :)

She has no udder what so ever. Her teats filled in a little, but not her udder. That is why I was getting worried that either she is going to kid with no milk, or kid to a pool of goop...Though I cant tell if she really did fill in a little, or if it is just her winter coat making her look bigger under there.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, did you expose her to the buck or was she bred when you got her, thus the due date? Open does will paw when they lay down, and will stretch when they get up. Heat cycles will produce the "goo". Does can produce the discharge a month prior to kidding and udders will start developing during that time frame, also. You could just continue to watch her closely for another month or get a blood test to determine whether she's even pregnant. Not being able to see her and give her the "pooch" test, this is a mystery to me. Sorry, that's all I can offer.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She was "exposed" to the buck on our property - she jumped the fence when she was in heat, and went for a romp around the farm with the buck who had also gotten loose. My mum found them in the barn doing their "business". We weren't actually expecting her to be bred, but we jotted down the due date just in case, so we werent surprised if she really did get bred...About a month ago, she started gaining weight in weird places even though we cut back her grain, then cut it again. She kept gaining weight, and then everything with this past week. We assumed she was pregnant...

What is the "pooch test"? I can get some pictures of her tomorrow when I get home - would that help?

Thanks for the help! It really is helping, even if it doesnt seem like much. I got wicked excited about having kids on the farm again, but Im thinking there wont be any! :hit

Update for today: It looks like her weight dropped down and back again. She is also being nice to the other goats (which is very unlike her). Swollen in the back region again, though not pink or anything...She is kind of crouched up in her back, though not stretching at all.

I'm standing by my opinion that I think she is a nut...lol...Crazy goat... I think she will be the one to drive me to insanity! :barnie

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aww, keep us posted. This is interesting. I hope you do have kids.
I haven't bred my new goats yet. I haven't had kids in over 20 years. I know I'd be a nervous wreck if I had a pregnant goat on the property, but I may breed one of my does in the spring.

Has your doe ever had kids before, or would this be the first? Perhaps it is a hysterical pregnancy? I knew of a dog that did that once, and it took an ultrasound at the vet to confirm that there were no puppies in there!

Good luck! :fl

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would not cut her grain if there is a chance she is pregnant. The pooch test examines the anus and the vulva, looking for a flattened triangle on just above the anus, and an elongated vulva.

Latest posts