Kidding question...Is she going into labor??

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had cut her grain a month and some ago, but then put it back up after she kept gaining weight. We were hoping the meant she was bred, so we wanted to make sure she was getting enough food! lol

If anything happens, this will be her first time. I was planning on breeding her this fall to my Nubian buck, but then her and the old buck decided to go on a date of their own.

I'll probably bring her into the vets if nothing has happened with in the next month, but unless she is in pain or in some kind of stress, I am not going to waste the vet call. I wouldnt be surprised if there was nothing in there! I am hoping there is....but what can you do, other than suck it up, and admit that you have been fooled by a goat!!! :)

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
kimmyh said:
I would not cut her grain if there is a chance she is pregnant. The pooch test examines the anus and the vulva, looking for a flattened triangle on just above the anus, and an elongated vulva.
I agree. If she might be pregnant, she needs that grain.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wonder if a doe who's never kidded before would have the maternal instincts to have an hysterical pregnancy? :hu

Interesting... :/

:pop

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here's an article about false pregnancy in goats. I guess it is possible even if she's never kidded before since it is actually caused by a physical condition rather than entirely mental. http://kinne.net/flspreg.htm

I still hope you have kids though! Good luck! :fl

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That was a very good website! I am hoping it isnt a hysterical pregnancy, but I dont know...Its like that website said, she is only acting 80% pregnant ;)

So far no kids :hit

I'm not sure if we misjudged by a lot, or if it is a fake pregnancy, but I am very disappointed about not having kids!

She has gotten VERY fat in the past few days. She's been pacing, harassing and beating on the other girls, pulling the hay out of the hay rack with her feet (pawing at the hay rack), and kicking the other girls out of their run-in. She has been an absolute monster! Total opposite of how she normally is. This is the behavior I saw in my other goats not too long before they kidded, so I'm hopefully that is a good sign :fl

Probably will get an ultrasound middle to end of the month if we dont have kids!

Anyway, just wanted to update!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! :D You just popped into my mind today and I was wondering how things were progressing! Good luck! :fl

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So, Gaelyn and I are going to be headed to the vets office in a few for an ultra sound!

Getting ready for dissapointment, but maybe I'll be surprised ;)

She is still getting fatter...Even though we cut her grain a little...But I guess we will see!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you feel any babies or anything moving in there??

Good luck at the vets! If she's not preggo, I hope she snaps out of it!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
chubbydog811 said:
She is still getting fatter...Even though we cut her grain a little...But I guess we will see!
"Fat" on a goat isn't a big belly - it's deposited over the muscles (back, shoulders, neck, etc). A big belly could be babies, could be a healthy happy rumen, could be a worm load.

I think in my quick skim here I noticed others had recommended you not cut feed quite yet, so I'll second (or third, or fourth) that advice ;) Google body condition scoring for goats for some good ways to see if your goatie is indeed overconditioned.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Got the ultra sound done...Nothing in there! I was thinking there wasnt, but just wanted to make sure...
The vet though I was stupid for wanting to get an US on her, but I wanted to be positive so I didnt come out to dead kids or a dead goat. They also didnt believe in "fake" pregnancies. They couldnt explain to me why she hasnt gone into heat either. I think I may try to find a different vet (for future reference) who will check out something even if they dont understand why and not try to degrade me for it.

She is fat in weird places, that is why I thought it was a baby belly. I dont think it is her rumen, but it could very well be. It wasnt until the middle of Sept, that she started getting fatter (thats why we thought she really was pregnant).

Anyway, I'll worm her tomorrow, because that seems like a reasonable thing that could be wrong...They are just about due anyway.