KIDDING SUPPLY LIST & Kidding NOTES

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never dress your goats unless absolutely necessary.
It can cause respiratory issues... Too many put goat coats on their kids and end up with pneumonia... they end up getting hot then damp then cold.
If your shelter is adequate and they are in good health there shouldn't be an issue. In larger litters 4-5 kids if kids are really small (under 2 lbs - the 2lb range) you will need to really watch them to make sure they don't get chilled.
Better to do a warming barrel or get these kind of lamps... they are NOT regular heatlamps. Regular heatlamps are extremely dangerous.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prima-heat-lamp
7877.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not likely any kids born now would need heat
I have lamps like SBC provided the link to
But I pretty much just only used when kids were born in below freezing temps
But I have had a 5 lb single born in the afternoon and it got
Down to 26 that night and didn't use them
But I've had triplets and used them on a rainy day in the high 30s

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok I have been avoiding spending the cash on the premier ones but I will break down and have at least one on hand. Thanks that is all good to know!

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
oh 250 reds or 175? I think I have 250 reds and 175 whites does color of bulbs matter? and I have skid/pallet "cubes" inside each pen with cut areas like pop doors with a piece of plywood on top I could just hang the premier inside of the skid cube I will assume if I get little kids or if it stays cold like today? Will look for image of the cubes, I am not going out its pouring yet

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
basically each cube is like the middle of this thing I made for them outside, BUT a skid HINGED on the front yet with a hole cut in it only big enough for does to get in and out. and I have hay inside. My guess is a skid is what 4x4 foot estimate? and I used the tight skids for in the pens, meaning the boards are close together from shipping shingles more like the ones used as the ramps in this image.
1 (3).jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the lamps would be hanging too low.
They need to clear the dam's back and you don't want kids jumping up and hitting it.

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
its about the same height as a barrel? maybe the pic seems smaller than it is? 4 foot x4 foot
3 (4).jpg