Kidney Stone Strainers

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a friend who's husband works in the medical field and gets kidney stone strainers from work to filter any hair and such out of their fresh goats milk. I was just poking around and these are about $10 for 30 online and fairly durable. You could get several uses out of them. I was just wondering if anyone else had thought of this?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure I'd want to reuse a filter, they're pretty inexpensive. I got a box of 200 gravity filters through PBS livestock for $7.34, a little over four inch diameter. They also have a box of 6.5 inch filters, 100 of them, for under $5. They are flat disks, I think they make a funnel you can put them into, but I just fold them into a funnel shape and pour the milk through, since I'm filtering a smaller amount of milk. If I was filtering more I'd get the funnel.

The milk filters are also thicker than kidney stone strainers (if you're talking about the paper funnel type), so imho they do a better job of filtering.

tracerracer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I bought a 'V' shaped 'gold' reusable coffee filter years ago for like $5, we had a coffeemaker that took those filters.... We no longer have that coffeemaker, but I still had the filter and then ran across this on pinterest..... Mine is not so 'pretty', I just cut out a plastic lid that is bigger than my bucket and milk into it, works like a champ.... Goes through mt DW sanitary cycle or I soak it for just a bit in my regular hand sanitizing routine ( If I have a load, I run the machine, if I don't, I do it by hand)....... I should mention that I do use it to strain the milk one more time when I pour it into the jar..........

kelley128-3_zpsrx9pwqz4.jpg

Latest posts