Kiko Quints!!!

tlphlps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of our Kiko does just had 5 kids!!! We have never had more than triplets, so this is new for us. Do any of you have experience with this many, and I'm just wondering how common it is among the Kiko breed? Is it possible for the Doe to raise the 5 or should we plan to pull a couple and bottle feed? She has raised triplets for the last 4 years successfully. She does not seem to be as full as previous years. We have given the kids colostrum from her, and supplements to two of the kids who seem a little weak, and not as "quick on their feet". They are all big....6 to 8 pounds!! Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WOW!!! I don't have experience with that many, the most we have ever had was triplets. I would plan to pull and bottle feed if it were me. Congratulations!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Kikos were bred and are known for their large litters. That is mighty large though. I say to leave them on and watch closely. Kikos are excellent mothers and are able to raise large litters without issue, but five could have issues. Keep and eye on them and watch how they are doing.

btw I just had a doe kid and one of her kids was a little slower than the rest for about two days but she is NOW doing great. Be sure to up that doe's feed and make sure she always has hay too.

Big kids! That's crazy. You have a keeper doe, to be having all those triplets and large litter. Congrats and hopefully she is able to raise them all.

ETA: I fixed my tragic spelling mistake.

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! Congrats! That is a litter! I have no experience whatsoever with that, but I have read that people generally pull 2 kids. I bet she was HUGE!

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe when you post about new babies the rule is to not respond until the OP (offending poster in this instance) has posted pictures of new babies... especially 5 of them, HELLO.... :idunno

I would respond with: plan on supplimenting, on the understanding that you put up a picture this instance!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would pull two of them, or at least just keep supplementing two of them. I have had luck supplementing, but I have also had the kid decide he would rather try to nurse and starve to death than take a bottle full of milk, even if they had been taking a bottle for a couple weeks already. That is very very frustrating. I can't imagine you will get 5 evenly growing kids with out supplementing or bottle feeding two of them.
I think Jodie had a kiko doe raise 4 last year, so she would be a good person to look up and ask about it as well. We don't have kiko, I know they are good mom's but 5 is a lot. Just carrying 5 kids was probably a strain on her system and may be why you are already seeing a smaller bag.
Rolled steamed Oats added to the pelleted feed and a cup or two of rolled, steamed corn a day will help her. Alfalfa hay will also increase milk production.
At this point a couple energy drenches wouldn't hurt her any. Nutridrench for goats or Power punch, 2 ounces twice a day for 3 or 4 days may help her get milking a little better.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I raise kikos and I have several that consistantly throw trips and quads. Never had five before. I have never pulled the extras. I did have one loose one of quads last year but that was because the first one was coming out butt first and I had to pull them all out. Momma took a few days to recover from the trauma.

They usually raise quads with no issues. I would watch them very carefully for the first few days. If they seem lethargic and thier bellies don't seem full, I would pull two or at least suppliment some of them. Don't wait too long. If you have any concerns at all, I would go ahead and pull two.

By the way - Where are you located? Were any of them does? Are they going to be for sale?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
I raise kikos and I have several that consistantly throw trips and quads. Never had five before. I have never pulled the extras. I did have one loose one of quads last year but that was because the first one was coming out butt first and I had to pull them all out. Momma took a few days to recover from the trauma.

They usually raise quads with no issues. I would watch them very carefully for the first few days. If they seem lethargic and thier bellies don't seem full, I would pull two or at least suppliment some of them. Don't wait too long. If you have any concerns at all, I would go ahead and pull two.

By the way - Where are you located? Were any of them does? Are they going to be for sale?
x2

Watch and if they are doing good leave them. If your doe can raise them that is great. That shows she is a good mother, has good milk, and has it in her mid that she can do it, not freaking out and rejecting kids. Kikos are known for being wonderful mothers. Let her try and if she can, let her raise them.

But if there are issues then pull and do what you need to do but I say let her try.

Jodie - I was thinking the same. Where are you at and you sell? lol

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Whoaaaa, Congratulations are in order!!

One of my does had 4 and I thought that was a record!! But 5 is fantastic.

Keep checking bellies and make sure they are getting enough. I would be feeding Mom some grain this week, three times a day, maybe some calf manna in with it, and a cup of BOSS. That is one big drain on her.

Yes, I insist also, Photos of the Brood.

DonnaBelle

tlphlps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here they are. This is the best picture I have for now. :) They seem to be holding their own, and are nursing well. We will definitely keep a close eye on these babies!!

Jodie, We are in Southwest Missouri. Two are bucks, and three does! We don't have any plans to sell the does as of now, but the bucks will be for sale once weaned. Our website is www.phillipsfamilyfarm.com if you are interested.

goats.jpg