Killed a bear today...*pics added* **GRAPHIC**

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coco...you are right...and I really should be able to shoot a rifle should I need to protect my critters...guess it scares me not know how far it would travel and I fear hitting a person who may be out walking in trees...hubby says if I practice, that won't be a concern...am not bad with the shotgun, but it is limited.

And Stonewall...I'm glad you shared that with us...may get more of us to learn to use rifles...many coyotes and nasty dogs around here...and fox after the chickens.

Lupa Duende

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i have never seen a black bear look that horrid.

is mange a problem for other wildlife down there too?

how does your pyr react to bears? i heard they were fantastic as they alert by barking but are not aggressive.
am i right?

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Pyr HATES bears! He does not hesitate on being aggressive with them and I've seen him lay into one the size of a Volkswagen! But, we also have a large population of black bears and they are regularly in HIS terriority, so I think that fuels his fire.

Luckily he's never met with one that hasn't retreated from him.( and the Volkswagen moved on out pretty darn fast for his size!) He will not give up though. Before we tightened up our "Pyr jail" we had a 4am phone call from the state police informing us that he was chasing a bear through town! And that is why he is "infamous"! Lol.

I do know that he has killed a range of smallerish animals, possum, groundhogs, porcupine! THAT one was fun :he

Gentle as a tit mouse with HIS animals, but otherwise watch out!

Eric

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
wow! No doubt good decision shooting the bear within rights or not. I hope that mange doesn't run it's way up here in maine. We do have lots of bears here but I didn't know that they could get mange like that. I totally agree, just do what you need to do to protect yourself and animals.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bon - start practicing with that riffle! We live near a MAJOR riffle range. Get to hear all kinds of gunfire during the day...
A riffle will be MUCH more helpful in certain circumstances than a shotgun. Easier on your shoulder as well!
Riffle: shallow, fast running water.:lol: (Sorry. Could not resist. Thread seemed to be getting....um....a little hot.):hide

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
What a sad looking bear.

Remember folks, every area has it's own laws and you should know them before you shoot in your area.

CrazyFlocksters

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
8293_coyote_016.jpg

I shot this coyote about 3 weeks ago