Kimber tangled with Cougar!! Underdogged.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@babsbag, that always cracked me up to! I kept trying to figure out how that made sense! My father insisted we learn all about cougars since we always hunted on Mt. St. Helens. What TN was saying was absurd. I also know that cougars can kill a dog very quickly. However, my friend north of me had similar wounds on her animals from a cougar. They seem to like an easy kill and if they don't get it they go elsewhere. Whether a cougar or a bear, I have a feeling Kimber was the instigator/chaser.

@CntryBoy777, I also am leaning more towards a bear. While a mountain lion could have done it, we have had bears here before. And, no, I do not have hotwire surrounding all of my property. We are working towards that goal. In the meantime, we have separate pasture areas. Hence the problem with not enough LGDs. Kimber is able to get into and out of the goat pasture when we allow and we often allow this with her so she can move all around the property and is not only watching the goats. This is what Wesson always did previous to his sickness. With separating the animals, more dogs is even more critical.

Southern by choice said:
LOL- She has already told me I am first on the list! :plbb

That's OK, I'll take SECOND on the list right after SBC!! :love
:lol::lol: Sounds good as long as I can spare another!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a bit late here- but I saw your post on FB and SBC told me about dear Kimber :hit

Poor girl :hitThat looks terrible! So glad she is doing better now. It must heave been terrible finding her like this. I know someone on this forum lost their Pyr to a pack of 7 coyotes, so thankful Kimber made it through this. :hugs:hugs

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today when I got home, Kimber was standing and waiting for us. After taking her out, she came back in and spent a large part of the evening going from person to person for hugs and love! :love If she wasn't already showing signs of annoyance at being stuck inside I might start to worry I was spoiling her rotten. ;) When I went upstairs for the night, I reached down to pet her (she prefers walk ways for resting) and she rested her head on my feet. When I tried to go past she stretched out her head to block the pathway! :gigNaturally, I caved and petted her some more...:hide

She is still in quite a bit of pain and favors her left foreleg but she is "feeling" better every day. Her drain tubes are certainly working. DH said this evening our living room looked like a slaughter house! Again, I am thankful we put tile in the living room. We did this so sick/injured goats, pigs etc. would have a place where we could keep a close eye on them. Yup, in the house next to a wood stove...:hide

We are doing our best to keep her from scratching or licking the wound. For the most part, she licks the drainage but when she scratches sometimes she catches at the back drain. There is still so much drainage that I do not want to try and cover it at all.

Also, I have, in the past, reduced the pain meds as an aid to controlling "self-destructive" behavior. I am not there yet with Kimber because I feel the muscle pain is worse than skin damage. As she starts moving around more comfortably, I may get there in the hopes she will be less likely to move too much or scratch too much.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that she is doing better and she deserves all the snuggles and hugs you have time to give.

How to allow dogs access to all the fields can be a challenge; I was just studying that dilemma today. 3 of mine will go through the top part of a gate but I two are getting older and I hate to see them do that. Also, I had Sigueme get her foot cut doing that so I am really looking for another way. Mia won't go over a gate at all so she stays wherever I put her...it is good and bad. I am looking at building jump gates and we will see how smart my goats are, hoping they aren't smart at all. Also hoping that the gates are quick to build as time is not something I have a lot of.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, Kimber has continued to improve. She feels better though she is still limping. These are some pictures from this past week.
20171113_162103.jpg 20171113_162310.jpg 20171113_170122.jpg

These are pictures of Kimber begging for a petting!
20171117_192730.jpg 20171117_192735.jpg 20171117_192819.jpg

And some more from Friday.
20171117_194538.jpg 20171117_194613.jpg 20171117_194647.jpg

This morning when I went downstairs she started whining. I just had to laugh, it isn't an uncomfortable type of whine but a "pet me please!" type of whine! She just kept following me around giving me that "love me" look. :lol: So cute!

Unfortunately, I also noticed today that she ripped a hole in her stiches sometime last night. :he I am going to have to see what I can do about that now the terd.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a way that could be a good sign tho...the healing stitches always gets itchy, so she was probably scratching them. Do ya put a dab on neosporin on them to keep them a bit moist so it doesn't itch so much?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They have seemed to stay fairly moist by themselves. I do not actually have neosporin. Is there something else that might work for that as well? We have been putting a warm soaked rag over it on occasion to help things and try and keep it a little cleaner.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any brand of triple antibiotic ointment would do, but if it feels too greasy or wet to her she will lick it, so just a dab can cover a fairly sizeable area....I've q-tips to apply it....are they the absorbing stitches or will they have to be removed?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are staples actually. So they will have to be removed. I do not have any triple antibiotic ointment unfortunately.