1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kimber tangled with?? Underdogged

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by dejavoodoo114, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Nov 13, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Sigueme runs in front of me and flops in my path until I give belly rubs; she does this repeatedly. I could just love on her all day long and she would let me. When she had one of her litters of puppies she spent her entire labor with her head in my lap. No hands off around here.

2. Nov 13, 2017
    pippomky75

pippomky75 Exploring the pasture

wow, I'm so sorry! We moved to our place in the country a few years ago and noticed not one farm or ranch around us has less than five dogs. We made jokes that we have to get moving to catch up with the neighbors. I see now, it is no laughing matter. Two dogs were surrendered to us, a 12 year old boarder collie and an 11 month old Saint Bernard. She (the BC) is very smart with great instincts, but old and not moving very quick. He (the Saint) has all the vigor of youth and the full helping of stupidity that comes with it. I wonder after reading your post if they are ok, or if we should look into adding dogs. we have a very active coyote population. My heart breaks for yours I hope she recovers quickly and is not in a lot of pain. Thank you for your post

3. Nov 13, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

There are dogs and then there are Livestock Guardian Dogs. They aren't the same, they have different jobs and different mentalities and once you own an LGD you will never be without one. I have 4 and adore them all. The most common breeds are probably Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Maremma, and Akbash. There are many other breeds, but those are the ones you see most often. There is a forum on BYH for just LGDs, there is a lot of reading in there, could keep you busy for a long long time. :) If you don't have an LGD you should get one. Yes, we are all enablers. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Baymule and dejavoodoo114 like this.
  4. Nov 14, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

I second what Babs said. Just because a dog is a true LGD breed, doesn't mean it will absolutely become a true LGD... Some prefer to be companions or people guardians :)

5. Nov 14, 2017
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave True BYH Addict

I have not owned a LGD or needed one, but have had German Shepherds as working dogs. I believe you can love them and vice versa and still expect the service they are trained for. Just my opinion.

6. Nov 14, 2017
    dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 True BYH Addict

Very, very true! :D Sorry Bay!

While Kimber was waking up, she would moan until I got down on the floor so she could set her head in my lap. That is where I spent much of my time Saturday night and Sunday. Such a spoiled adorable darling!

7. Nov 14, 2017
    dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 True BYH Addict

@Kimberly83, yes we have mountain lions in our county. I have not heard of sightings in my part of it though. A friend in a different part of my county said the wound looked like wounds her goats, dogs, and horses got from mountain lions. She did finally get pictures of that mountain lion but at the time, TN was still denying that they were here!

8. Nov 14, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Cracks me up when DFG claim that there are no M. lions in a particular state. As if the animals stop at the state lines.:lol:

If it was a M. Lion be thankful that Kimber is alive. One dog is no match for a cat.

dejavoodoo114 likes this.
  9. Nov 14, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

That is a terrible situation deja, sure glad ya was able to catch it in time and get that horrible wound tended too. I would lean more towards a bear, but I'm sure there are cats in the area and even here about 2mnths ago just 25mi north of us a black panther was videoed, but never caught....they are akin to the Florida panther which is a bit smaller than a cougar...but still deadly. Sorry too, that there are difficulties with your other dogs....have ya not had a chance to string electic wire?
    I am hoping to expand some here next year, but have a few decisions to make before hand and predators are something I have to factor in and take a serious look at....I appreciate ya sharing your experience because it certainly gives much food for thought.....:hugs

dejavoodoo114 and Hens and Roos like this.
  10. Nov 14, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Southern by choice said:
    LOL- She has already told me I am first on the list! :plbb

That's OK, I'll take SECOND on the list right after SBC!! :love

dejavoodoo114 likes this.