kits and fireworks

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So fireworks are going to be a thing this weekend and it's my first 4th with bunnies. We got our adult rabbits last August and now we've got 6 thriving kits born on Tuesday. All are in hutches in the backyard, but I'm debating at least moving mom and babies inside. I also don't want to stress them all out! Last time this doe had kits I moved her and her last 2 babies inside so they'd stay warm and the kits died (first litter, most died within the first day, unseasonably cold March in Oregon, no nesting box because I didn't know she was pregnant, etc.). This litter is doing so well and has restored my daughter's faith in having bunnies so if they have heart attacks because of fireworks down the street after totally thriving this week we'll be so so upset.

PXL_20220701_180829094.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your rabbitry is in your backyard and the fireworks are down the street then I don't think you will have a problem. Shooting off fireworks in your backyard may upset the rabbits, but down the street is probably safe. I find my rabbits pretty much ignore anything that is going on. I understand and applaud your concern. You are just trying to be a good bunny mom.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have kits unexpectedly "on the wire" just make up a nest box and move the kits into it. If they are cold warm them up first. You can use a cup of warm water (not hot) and dip them in it holding them by the head. Dry them off and put them between towels on a heating pad until their body temp is warm. Then put them in the nest box. The mother will go into the box to take care of them. Rabbits are much easier and accepting than most people think.

If loud noises scared them into abandoning their litters or killing them with heart attacks, they would have died out during thunderstorms. Good luck!

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know I'm late answering but I agree with Animalmom and Ridgetop, unless you were popping fireworks or making real loud noises next to the pen they're in, they will be fine. ;)

Latest posts