1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kits too hot?

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning and Raising Young Rabbits' started by ChikenChik, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jun 12, 2018
    ChikenChik

ChikenChik Exploring the pasture

Last week Midnight had babies. Today they are a week old and it is pretty hot...around 85 degrees! They are in the shed...door open and its shaded by a tree. So probably the coolest of all my rabbit spots. I have them in an extra large litter pan with straw and moms hair but they kept crawling out so I almost emptied the pan of straw so they can't climb the sides. Its in a extra large dog crate with mom that is reinforced with 1/2 by 1/4 wire bottom and up a few inches on sides but I didnt like them laying all over the wire plus mom is kinda skittish so I am afraid they will get stomped if something startles her. I am guessing they are doing it because it is hot but my other litter that is 2 days older are staying in their box and its actually much easier to get out of. I have had other babies in the heat but have never seen this is it normal? And should I put all the straw and hair back in tonight?

2. Jun 12, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

stick a frozen water bottle in with them under the nest material. If they're hot it'll help cool them off, and if they're just hyper then you're in for a long few weeks of energetic kits. :)

promiseacres likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master Golden Herd Member

@Jesusfreak101 thought you’d find this thread interesting to follow

4. Jun 12, 2018
    Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Loving the herd life

You are right I do thank you. I throw some frozen bottles in with my rabbits. We lost some kits to what I believe was heat but could have been another thing. It has been 100+ I NC our area and very little wind most of the time.

Sundragons likes this.
  5. Jun 12, 2018
    Sundragons

We live in the Desert of AZ. Rabbits come inside in the summer, and even then, on cages along an outside wall, we toss in water bottles. Maybe overkill, but w have not lost one to the heat yet. Also if we're doing transport of any kind in summer they get a cold towel and frozen water bottle or 2 in the transport crate for the ride, with an AC vent pointed directly in the door.

promiseacres likes this.
  6. Jun 12, 2018
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Loving the herd life

I use fans. Kits go wherever to be comfortable most of the time. I do not breed during the summer, in the SE. Never have lost any rabbit at any age to heat in 7+ years of breeding.

7. Jun 12, 2018
    Jason Butcher

Jason Butcher Exploring the pasture

What type of rabbit do you own? I heard that certain breeds such as the Netherland dwarf can die from heat.

8. Jun 12, 2018
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Loving the herd life

ALL breeds of rabbits can die from heat. Some are a bit more heat tolerant, like Florida Whites and New Zealand Whites, but still happens to them as well. Typically the longer the fur the less heat tolerant.

Sundragons likes this.
  9. Jun 12, 2018
    Jason Butcher

Jason Butcher Exploring the pasture

10. Jun 12, 2018
    Sundragons

Yes. Netherlands and Holland Lops both need be kept under 85. I'm sure there are also other breeds as well, but those are definites.

Wehner Homestead likes this.