Knapweed management?

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So our 5 acres used to be a part of a farm that went under about 10 years ago. Our plot has all sorts of items growing in it and some are invasive weeds. Knapweed and oxeye daisy are the prevalent ones. Then we also have a mix of field grass, field peas, and others I haven't identified.

I want to get rid of the knapweed, and have shied away from chemical means, but it's starting to make me mad enough to go there. Anyone have experience or suggestions as to what to use to control knapweed? I only have my chickens, geese and ducks that forage in the field currently, and they don't eat the knapweeds, only the grass.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So our 5 acres used to be a part of a farm that went under about 10 years ago. Our plot has all sorts of items growing in it and some are invasive weeds. Knapweed and oxeye daisy are the prevalent ones. Then we also have a mix of field grass, field peas, and others I haven't identified.

I want to get rid of the knapweed, and have shied away from chemical means, but it's starting to make me mad enough to go there. Anyone have experience or suggestions as to what to use to control knapweed? I only have my chickens, geese and ducks that forage in the field currently, and they don't eat the knapweeds, only the grass.
There is a time and place when other means become necessary so chemical warfare time has come. Contact your County Ag. Extention Service for best advice that would be specific to your needs.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
At this stage of the game, you have your work cut out for you. Depending which variety of knapweed you have, OTC herbicieds have not proven very effective.
http://idahoweedawareness.com/media/press_releases/pvine_rknapweed_pr_2016.html
"Milestone®, Curtail®, Redeem®, Transline®, and Telar DF® are the best ones to use."
(Redeem is the one I would be tempted to try first, or even Remedy Ultra which contains one of 2 of the same ingredients as Redeem. I say tempted, because Remedy's specimen label doesn't have knapweed listed)
There are some bugs you can buy and turn loose that are supposed to work very well.
http://www.weedbustersbiocontrol.com/knapweedinsects.html

Not cheap and they aren't an overnight solution by any means.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee, I have that too. Had no idea what that pretty flower was. My wife saw it in the barnyard when I was pulling nettle and burdock. She told me not to pull it out :lol: