KNIVES!! What kind/brand is best?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I always liked and used to carry Buck knives. I have several in my hunting back pack. Wish I could get 50-75% off! That's awesome! Sure would make gift shopping for some easier! ;)

19disbre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon, Havalon!!!

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was butchering some roosters for someone and she gave me her ceramic knife to use. I did nick it badly. It is not made for cutting chicken necks the bones did a job on it. The next time I helped her out she had another knife and I brought mine sharpened. I did like it but it didn't last long. I asked her how you sharpened them because I suspected they were toast "she said, like any other knife". It was a shame they couldn't be tougher because it was really sharp and smooth for the meat but just don't hit a bone or table with it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@lcertuche that is nice to know about the ceramic knives. I always sharpen up a handful when I butcher chickens.

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I only use sani safe knife's for our mobile poultry trailer. Takes alnost no effort to keep them sharp. Best sharpener on the planet is a vehicle window. For all other critters i only use my fishing fillet knife. Works great for everything and was cheap.

Arrakis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd like to update my original response. We still have the "Knives of Alaska" and use them.

My wife and I have been introduced to traditional butchery and curing of meats. I'd love to tell you all about it but there are YouTube channels and websites that do a far better job of explaining what it's about. With that said, we have been collecting and using knives made of high carbon steel. Some are new and some are antique/vintage. Out of the dozen knives we have, we spent less than $5.00. Some were found at yard sales, some were found in the clearance section of a hardware store. High carbon steel will rust and requires a little more care. I enjoy fixing the older knives up and using them. The antiques sometimes need a new handle and to be sharpened but you have a tool that will last a very long time for very little money and a little effort. We've spent ALOT more money on a set of high quality sharpening stones (I prefer Japanese Whetstones). A scary sharp knife is a safe knife!

Check The Grass Fed Homestead channel on YouTube and http://www.farmsteadmeatsmith.com for more info on traditional butchery.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
, we have been collecting and using knives made of high carbon steel. Some are new and some are antique/vintage. Out of the dozen knives we have, we spent less than $5.00. Some were found at yard sales, some were found in the clearance section of a hardware store. High carbon steel will rust and requires a little more care. I enjoy fixing the older knives up and using them. The antiques sometimes need a new handle and to be sharpened but you have a tool that will last a very long time for very little money and a little effort.
I go to flea markets and yard sales sometimes - how can you tell if a knife is high carbon steel? And if it would be worth fixing it up? Thanks!

Arrakis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The blade will be tarnished and or probably rusty if you find a used one. Think granny's old kitchen knife with the wood handle. Do a search for "Old Hickory" kitchen knives and you can see what a new high carbon steel blade looks like. New will be shinny raw steel if it's still in the factory packaging, but not usually polished like stainless steel.

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Stones are used to bring a knife back, once sharp it shouldn't take but a couple of swipes on a window to sharpen. I use fillet knife's because they hold the best edge. When i slaughter a pig for example i only have to touch the blade up once per pig. Ols steel is wonderful but getting harder to find, that said my new school fillet knife will cut circles around it though. I've used about ever butcher knife out there and I've chosen the knife i use because of price, edge, and durability. But my regular butcher knife never ever touches poultry! You should always use sani safe knifes for poultry and keep them just for poultry.

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Top is my butcher knife handle i made from a deer i shot a few years ago. bottom is my sticking knife, old hickory.

Attachments

• 1491483826172.jpg
    1491483826172.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 312