Knots on ewe's neck

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
We have a couple of young ewes that have had knots to come up on their neck, just behind and below their ears. Anyone have any ideas on what this is and what we should do?

Thanks so much

Hunter's Nanee

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Caseous Lymphadenitis (CLA, CL, boils, abscesses, cheesy gland)
Caseous lymphadenitis is an infectious, contagious disease that primarily affects the lymphatic system, though other organs can be affected. It is caused by the bacteria Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis. Infection results in abscess formation in the lymph nodes which when cut or ruptured, discharge pus containing the bacteria into the immediate surroundings. When the nodes spread internally, affected ewes slowly lose weight and eventually become emaciated.

CL is the third leading leading cause of carcass condemnation in the U.S.. The disease is controlled by culling visible infected animals and practicing good hygiene at shearing time. There is a vaccine licensed for sheep. It has been shown to both decrease the number of abscesses in sheep and the number of sheep that develop abscesses.
Reference site:

http://www.sheep101.info/201/diseasesa-z.html#CL

Hope this isn't it but if it is, hope you find a good solution! Welcome to the forum and keep us updated? Its always good to share info about these things so we can all learn.

Can you post some pics of these lumps? Some of the goat people have had this in their herds and may be able to give you a better idea about if these lumps look like this malady.

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt responses. I think Beekissed hit the nail on the head with the diagnosis of Caseous Lymphadenitis (CLA, CL, boils, abscesses, cheesy gland). My husband said the boil popped yesterday and after getting some advice from a vet, we learned that this is very contagious as Beekissed said. The vet said to keep the ewe isolated and to burn any material that comes into contact with the drainage from the boil. We've had a Momma ewe that lambed in July that has been losing weight and I'm now wondering if this is what is going on with her. We just took the lamb off her this past weekend thinking that it was pulling her weight, but now I'm not so sure.

My husband and daughter-in-law (who lives in another county and does well to come up twice a week) decided to go into farming. Farming isn't new to me as we did this years ago with pigs and horses, but thought my husband had wised up and moved on, but that obviously isn't the case. Being the animal lover that I am, I have been dragged into the process kicking and screaming. I get too attached to the animals and can't bear to know they are being sold for slaughter. I do enjoy the chickens (we have 30+ depending on what day it is) since I do nothing but feed and collect the eggs. Thanks again for your advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice in the future.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vaccine for CL, called Cas-Bis is labeled for use in sheep. You can buy it at Jeffers. I would recommend vaccinating any animal not showing signs and at least separating the ones that are. If you can afford to it is best to sell any affected sheep FOR SLAUGHTER. Please do not sell them to someone else who is going to keep the animal. All sheep and goat farmers need to work together and do what we can to stop the spread of this disease. The vaccine is not 100% effective but will help.

I had 3 animals I bought from a closed herd that turned out to have CL. I separated them and started vaccinating and have not had any more show signs since I started using it.

We have had a very hot summer. You ewe that is losing weight *might* just be affected by the heat. Keep an eye on her.

Dont panic. It is not then end of the world, just something you have to manage.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
And don't assume animals with no abcesses are CL free. Most/many times sheep have internal abcesses.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
And don't assume animals with no abcesses are CL free. Most/many times sheep have internal abcesses.
Thank you. I didn't know that. Goats usually have external abcesses.

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
One more quick question about this disease (Caseous Lymphadenitis (CLA, CL, boils, abscesses, cheesy gland) - if a mama has this does/or can it pass on to babies she may be carrying? My dear bought a goat at auction last Saturday and he thinks she may have a knot on her side similar to the one the sheep has and she is supposed to be bred.
My D-I-L and I keep telling him to quit buying animals at auctions, but he isn't listening.

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie

I just read your post and am wondering if a goat/sheep have abcesses internally are there other symptoms besides weight loss?

By the way, thanks. I love this site - so much good info and kind people to help us newbies.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It can be passed from mother to kid by nursing. Lumps in goats happen a lot and are usually not CL. If you can get it tested. If it is, bottle feed the baby. If you do not have the time or ability to bottle feed, vaccinate immediately and hope for the best.

Cas-Bac is not labeled for goats. It can cause bad injection site reactions. I use it and don't worry about the big lumps but I raise market meat goats, not show goats. I have never had a real bad reaction but I have had lumps 1.5" in diameter.

#2 rule in raising goats: Sale barns are for selling-not buying.

ohne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
#2 rule in raising goats: Sale barns are for selling-not buying.
That is a very good rule, sale barns are possibly the worst place to pick up a goat. you never know what you are getting yourself into. Honestly the only truly successful way I know of to get rid of CL is sell off and start over.