Knots on ewe's neck

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Hunter's Nanee said:
aggieterpkatie

I just read your post and am wondering if a goat/sheep have abcesses internally are there other symptoms besides weight loss?

By the way, thanks. I love this site - so much good info and kind people to help us newbies.
I'm not sure if there are symptoms besides weight loss, but weight loss is a big one. Here's an article with more information.

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
One more questions - how long do we need to keep the ewe isolated after the boil has ruptured. My dear checked her last night and said he could not expel any more drainage, nor did it boil when he poured Peroxide on it. Is it safe to turn her back out with the others now or should we wait a couple of days?

Thanks,

Nanee G from East TN

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Put iodine on it. Ideally, any animal with CL should be permanently separated from the rest. If this is not feasible than wait a few days, make sure it healed over and be diligent about separating animals when symptoms show up.

What is the market for your sheep? How you handle this long term will differ depending on where these animals are going. Any sheep with symptoms of CL needs to be shorn last and all of the equipment sterilized when complete.

If these are show animals then you need to get rid of any showing signs of CL and probably any that were exposed to that animal as well. Roll Farms has show goats and has had CL issues. You may want to PM her for advice if that is your market. I have a market meat herd so I handle it differently. If they are meat animals than an isolation and vaccination regime, done properly will work. It depends on your resources and how you want to handle things.

Ethically, you should never sell an animal you suspect has CL for anything other than slaughter. Potential buyers of any animal should be informed you have CL in your herd and let them know what measures you are taking.

There are people who advocate that you should slaughter all your animals and start over. While this is the IDEAL approach, I do not think it is reasonable for most farmers. Unless you test every animal before it comes on you farm, you cannot guarantee it will not happen again. I have read some experts estimate up to 30% of the sheep and/or goats in this country have it. It is not something that is going to go away.

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
Jodie,
We actually have only a few sheep (eleven now that we sold the two lambs) and at this point it is just a hobby for my dear and my D-I-L. I think the goal was to raise lambs to sell at Sale Barns. Our sheep are Kathdins, therefore, shearing isn't an issue. He has been using Iodine on the boil since it ruptured. I plan to order the vacine and I guess we go from there. I just wish sometimes I wasn't such an animal lover, nor that I known in the family as "Dr. Mom." :/

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is purely my opinion and there are some people who will HIGHLY disagree with me.

I think with a small herd that is being sold at sale barns (primarily kill market) that vaccinating all your animals and separating any with active abscesses is an acceptable way to handle it. Any new animals you bring in should be vaccinated and isolated for 30 days in different isolation area than the one used for abscess animals. The study I read said the vaccine is about 80% effective. If you keep everything clean and be careful with infected animals you will reduce the incidence considerably.

If you sell any at other than a sale barn let the buyer know you have CL in your herd and how you are managing it. When you visit other farms wear shoes and clothing you do not wear in your barn or when working with your animals.

CL and other infectious diseases is the primary reason not to buy at sale barns. The animals there are others rejects, sick and problem animals. Do some research and ask around, there are lots of places in TN to get decent market animals. Buy directly from the producer.

Do you have any other goats than the one you just purchased? Goats have different nutritional needs than sheep and she will need to be fed separately. Goats need copper and copper kills sheep. All-stock feed and mineral is not sufficient for goats.

I too am an animal lover but I grew up on a farm so it is easier for me. I see it this way- animals are eaten, that is what our bodies are intended to eat. The animals I raise may have short lives, but they are good lives. If more animal lovers raise food animals, fewer food animals will have miserable lives on factory farms.

Be careful, CL bacteria can cause a skin infection in humans. Most importantly, enjoy your farm!

Hunter's Nanee

Just born
Reaction score
:D Me again - Yes we do have two other goats and my dear knows about the copper problem with sheep and buys his feed accordingly. I have ordered the vaccine for the CL and will try to go that route and be really careful with handling all the materials.

I too grew up on a farm and helped with hog killing, but never enjoyed it much. My dear also grew up on the farm we now live on and animals have always just been animals to him. He swears if he brought a rattlesnake home, I have it eating out of my hand in two days! A slight exaggeration if I ever heard one. For my own sanity, I'm trying hard to learn not to name every animal he brings home. Thanks again for your help. You have been so kind and my dear and I really do appreciate your information. You can obtain a lot of technical info on the internet, but there is nothing like having advice from someone that has experienced and very often experimented with different solutions. I know that what works for one situation doesn't always work for others, but the technical information sites (especially the pictures) were very helpful too.

Latest posts