Kunekune Going Downhill Fast

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone have literature from a reliable source stating that LA-200 at a 9mg/lb dose should be re-dosed in swine? Certainly I want to give him the best chance of a full recovery, but everything I can find suggests following label instructions. (This is in contrast to, for example, readily available tables from vet schools and such which make recommendations for dosing above the label for goat dewormers.) I try to use meds judiciously on our farm so don't want to re-dose "just because," plus I don't relish trying to stick a vigorous hog with a needle. It's far easier when they feel like crap and barely acknowledge the shot! 😂 But if someone has reliable-source info that says I should re-dose, I will.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Often the voices of experience are better than what is in a "text book".....several people have mentioned a second dose to you, sure would hate to see you loose your pig, just saying :idunno
Sure wish you luck at whatever choice you go with ;)

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's true about the voices of experience, but it's misleading to simply say re-dose the antibiotic. I mean, different antibiotics act differently on a body. So do you re-dose regardless of the drug and dosage used? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Many times, for example, penicillin needs to be re-dosed daily until symptoms subside and have been gone 24 hrs. The pharmacokinetics of LA-200, however, are different from those of (just to keep with the example) penicillin. Therapeutic blood levels of LA-200 can persist for 3 days post-injection. Since I gave him the meds at noon on Sunday, we're still within the 3-day window, the meds should still be working, and it seems to me additional doses most likely are not indicated and could potentially be associated with adverse effects.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
The information that I just read about LA 200 and treatment of swine said to repeate after 24 to 48 hours of signs of remission....unfortunately I have a goat in labor at the moment and am unable to provide you with the written information you are seeking, but it is available on the internet. ...

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GL with your goat! When you get a chance, I'd really appreciate if you'd post the info you found. I've looked for it but can't seem to find it. 🤷

This is consistent with pretty much everything I've seen. IIRC, it also matches the package insert pretty much word for word. Note that I gave the 9mg/lb dose:

Swine: A single dose of 9 mg of Liquamycin LA-200 per lb of body weight administered intramuscularly in the neck region is recommended in the treatment of bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella multocida in swine, where retreatment is impractical due to husbandry conditions or where repeated restraint is inadvisable.

Liquamycin LA-200 can also be administered by intramuscular injection at a level of 3-5 mg of oxytetracycline per lb of body weight per day. Treatment should be continued 24-48 hours following remission of disease signs; however, not to exceed a total of 4 consecutive days. Consult your veterinarian if improvement is not noted within 24-48 hours of the beginning of treatment.

Copied from here: https://www.drugs.com/vet/liquamycin-la-200.html

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
GL with your goat! When you get a chance, I'd really appreciate if you'd post the info you found. I've looked for it but can't seem to find it. 🤷

This is consistent with pretty much everything I've seen. IIRC, it also matches the package insert pretty much word for word. Note that I gave the 9mg/lb dose:

Swine: A single dose of 9 mg of Liquamycin LA-200 per lb of body weight administered intramuscularly in the neck region is recommended in the treatment of bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella multocida in swine, where retreatment is impractical due to husbandry conditions or where repeated restraint is inadvisable.

Liquamycin LA-200 can also be administered by intramuscular injection at a level of 3-5 mg of oxytetracycline per lb of body weight per day. Treatment should be continued 24-48 hours following remission of disease signs; however, not to exceed a total of 4 consecutive days. Consult your veterinarian if improvement is not noted within 24-48 hours of the beginning of treatment.

Copied from here: https://www.drugs.com/vet/liquamycin-la-200.html
That is pretty much what I read, I am in the goat house, but I think I just searched" LA 200 and swine" ..is the issue " not to exceed a total of 4 consecutive days ? ....I would interpret that to mean ...four days continually....and would give a second dose to be on the safe side...that being said, I haven't had to deal with this issue with swine, but did years ago with cattle. We redosed in 48 hours at that time....

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I could, but I'm honestly ok with the single dose I gave him + monitoring. Like I said, if someone could produce good evidence that I ought to re-dose, then I would, but in the absence of hard evidence, I'm going to sit tight and keep an eye on him.