Kunekune or GOS??

Hannah Banana

Just born
Reaction score
I am on the fence about which breed to go with for meat. I currently have two not so friendly pot belly sows I am trying to rehome as I don't have much use for them.
I've always love the looks of kunes but never had the money for their purchase price. Was kinda thinking they'd be the perfect size for me to handle myself without assistance plus they are as sweet as could be. The fiancé isn't keen on their size for butchering but I've been offered a trade of two of my Boer goats for two kune gilts.
As for the gos I don't know much about them other than they are bigger than kunes and would have more meat per animal.
Only problem with that is I would only have room for one sow and pigs are herd animals. With the kunes I can keep two sows and have two different litters. Only issue I see with kunes is having to butcher two piglet instead of just one like with the gos.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you considered an American Guinea Hog? They're not colorful like the two breeds you mentioned, but they are similar sized to the KK's and are very laid back and easy to handle. (at least the ones I have are)

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would also recommend the Guinea Hog. I like their temperament a LOT. No experience with the other two aside from that they are pretty to look at.

Hannah Banana

Just born
Reaction score
I've looked into the guinea hog but I'm drawn to the kune and gos's coats. Obviously that shouldn't be the only thing I consider but from my research these two breeds are super tame and friendly. The main reason I'm against AGH is we have a mostly angus herd of cattle and they're just boring. I love colors. In fact my personal herd of cattle is nearly every color possible.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to trade for a couple of kune kune guilts, I say go for it! If you find out that you don't like them, you can always sell or eat them.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guinea hogs are lard pigs, disappointing amount of meat for people who ddon't know that going in! Kune kunes are great foragers but are small and grow so slowly. We have GOS crosses, we love them. Best pork ever! However they are full size pigs and not little like the other breeds. On the other hand if you can trade for kune kunes it's worth a try!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are lard pigs you mean? I don't know as much about them. My husband butchers but hasn't done one of them yet!