La Mancha ears, the cold, and other such questions

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to learn to stop using those terms interchangeably! Sorry :)

Fair enough, my girl's a headbutter, and puts her head down so she ends up under the goats, poking them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dairy goats know how to use their horns, maybe because they are smart...never thought about it that way. All of my dairy goats are either disbudded or polled, NO horns in my herd. On the other hand, I also have boers, and they don't use the horns like the dairy do. I have a few of those that are disbudded, but most I left the horns on. Their horns don't get a big as the Alpines either.

Jewls819

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Lamancha/Saanen cross does. I have Nigerians and Fainters too. All of my goats have horns accept a naturally polled fainter doeling. These two came to use without horns...One is expecting and we plan of disbudding all the kids even though we have always been against it. Those horns just look too dangerous.

Attachments

• Lilly win.jpg
    Lilly win.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 143

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have Lamanchas and Oberhaslis. My Lamancha herd sire almost meets the Oberhasli breed standards. Regarding the disbudding, it is simple for us - you can't show a horned dairy goat, so we disbud. And we disbud every kid, regardless of their fate. If I decide to grow one out for meat, then I don't want one or two in the herd with horns. I had 4 whethers last year that we were going to raise as meat, but then a buyer came along that wanted them all for controlling brush on his property and I happily sold.
We did cook 1 7 month old lamancha buck last fall. He was about 85-90 lbs live weight. The meat is similar to venison, but the muscle was a little more stringy than venison.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I disbud all of mine but I have one Alpine doe that has one stunted horn and I haven't wanted to put her through having it cut off. However last year she killed one of my 4 month old doelings by puncturing two holes in her midsection and the vet could do nothing. Now I'm just waiting for her to kid and I'm selling her to someone that knows she can be rough on the other goats. She happens to also be the herd queen and that doesn't help matters.

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm a stranger here meself, hoping to make new friends...:frow
I have one full bred LaMancha and 4 crosses, including the daughter of the full bred. I LOVE my Violet; she was always my favorite (shhhh, don't tell the others :duc). She was the goat I learned to hand milk on, and she was so patient and sweet. At the time I was doing a goat husbandry internship, and I thought LMs were the weirdest looking goats I'd ever seen. By the end of summer they had stolen my heart and I took my stipend in goats. She is definitely the omega goat: last on the totem pole and last to get everything, so naturally she gets a lot of extras and privileges from me :p. I kept two doelings from this spring's breeding, and they were both LM/Oberhasli crosses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I disbud all of mine but I have one Alpine doe that has one stunted horn and I haven't wanted to put her through having it cut off. However last year she killed one of my 4 month old doelings by puncturing two holes in her midsection and the vet could do nothing. Now I'm just waiting for her to kid and I'm selling her to someone that knows she can be rough on the other goats. She happens to also be the herd queen and that doesn't help matters.
How sad. That's exactly why I disbud too - less chance of anyone getting hurt. I brought home an 8 month old wether with TERRIBLE scurs that curved into his skull (I know, I should've had my head examined, but I loved this boy dearly and he's paid me back a thousand fold). Not wanting to face a lifetime of trimming them, I bit the bullet and had him dehorned 4/13. It was a LONG haul to healing and lots of traumatic dressing changes; but it CAN be done and I can go into detail with anyone who wants to hear about it. I'm an APRN so I also know what I'm doing with this stuff ;) Not at all sorry I did it. He's 100% and the lovin'est goat I ever knew now, and not at all shy about having a buttfest with the girls! so obviously it didn't traumatize him.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a stranger here meself, hoping to make new friends...:frow
I have one full bred LaMancha and 4 crosses, including the daughter of the full bred. I LOVE my Violet; she was always my favorite (shhhh, don't tell the others :duc). She was the goat I learned to hand milk on, and she was so patient and sweet. At the time I was doing a goat husbandry internship, and I thought LMs were the weirdest looking goats I'd ever seen. By the end of summer they had stolen my heart and I took my stipend in goats. She is definitely the omega goat: last on the totem pole and last to get everything, so naturally she gets a lot of extras and privileges from me :p. I kept two doelings from this spring's breeding, and they were both LM/Oberhasli crosses.

Hi! I see you joined a long time ago but haven't been very active... hope that changes. Welcome back to BYH! :frow

Great post! I had a buckling done yesterday and was discussing mt doe (LM with horns) .. I have posted about her I think on this thread. We have never needed a doe de-horned til her! I love Millie but the horns MUST go. I was talking with my one vet but am still not clear on the whole process.

I would loveto hear the details of the process. I know it is a bit graphic and awful but very helpful info if you'd like to provide it. :)

I :love the Lamanchas too! No eared goats are simply beautiful, adorable, practical. and wonderful!