1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lab/Great Dane Puppy!

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Baymule, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Sep 21, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Since Parker died, we have been missing him so much. A dear friend in New York graciously offered us a Golden Retriever puppy, but my husband desperately wanted a Lab, and only a black Lab. so my friend offered one of his Cavalier puppies and I was thrilled to accept. Our Aussie, Polly, died in my arms last summer and she was my girl. She took every step I did. She loved me fiercely and her going left a hole in my heart.

BJ was happy for me, but still wanted a Lab. Unknown to him, I joined 6 Facebook groups, followed 3 County pound Facebook sites and haunted Craigslist nightly. All kinds of mixes, crossed with everything but a skunk. Gheesh people! Haven’t you ever heard of spay and neuter?

Last week I did a Lab search on Craigslist and an ad popped up. I nearly fell out of my decorating mistake recliner. It was an ad for Lab/Great Dane puppies! And they were black, just like Parker! I showed it to BJ and he got so excited, then started tearing up thinking about Parker, which both of us still do.

I contacted the lady and we went two days later and got one. Both parents were on site and loved members of the family. It was a “oops” spay and neuter soon to follow.

His name is Carson. BJ is thrilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carson is learning his name, sit, come, hungry, water and house training. We walk him on a leash, there is so much to get into and he doesn’t yet understand that COME is nonnegotiable. LOL

Trip is treating him like a annoying little brother.

[​IMG]

This is Carson's parents.

[​IMG]

We have a large dog crate or kennel where Carson goes when we go to bed or leave. He will just go in it and hang out or take a nap. He has several toys, but his favorite is one of BJ's knotted socks. He howls in the morning anywhere from 4 AM to 6AM to go outside NOW! He's getting better on that and mostly sleeps until 6. He has had a few accidents, but is learning.

I take him and Trip to a pasture that is mostly wooded, about an acre and take the leash off so he can run and play. Carson follows Trip like an adoring pesky little brother. He is wary of the chickens, the horses are big scary monsters, and the pig is something to stay far away from. I take him on the leash with me to feed in the mornings and evenings. At the vet a few days ago, he weighed 21 pounds, his birthday is 7-7-18 and he has a lot of growing to go.

My husband is one happy man.

2. Sep 21, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

3. Sep 21, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

Awww Carson is so cute!!!

4. Sep 21, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I’m SO happy for you and BJ!!! It’s awesome that you came across the same combination. The look on BJ’s face says it all!! :love Carson is beyond cute too! Congrats!!!

So when is the Cavalier coming?

5. Sep 21, 2018
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

:clap awesome blossom. what a doll baby. i'm so happy for BJ. you two have had enough holes poked in your hearts in the last couple of years. wasn't parker a dane/lab mix? str#4 had a dane/lab mix for several years and she was a great dog. youall are gonna love carson. tell bj I think he's gonna need a bigger chair before that boy is grown. and I just happened to see notice something about a cavalier puppy and if memory serves me we haven't see or heard anything about one, hummm

6. Sep 21, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Really happy for you and BJ Bay! :weee:celebrate That is some awesome news! What a great looking pup too! :love

7. Sep 21, 2018
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master Golden Herd Member

That is so Wonderful!!.....and he is precious!!.....I'll be interested just how long it takes before that is Carson's chair and Pops gets a New one.....;)

8. Sep 21, 2018
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Loving the herd life

Just wondering what happened to the black mouth cur

9. Sep 21, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

That's awesome - so happy for ya'll!

10. Sep 21, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master Golden Herd Member

He was rehomed to somewhere without chickens. ;)