1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Tick Eggs - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lab with white markings?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by OkieFarmer22, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2018
    OkieFarmer22

OkieFarmer22 Exploring the pasture

Hi,
    I got a lab puppy a month ago, she was the runt of the litter.. She has a quite a bit of white on her, she has some on her chest, neck, under the chin, and even a couple of her nails are white. The owner told me the white would go away. But others said she get even more white, or that it wouldn't go away. Could it be birthmarks that go away. She's a very calm and precious girl :) I just don't understand why she said it goes away. What do y'all think? Her brothers and sisters didn't have any white. Since I've had her, the white hasn't gone away, if anything she might have grown more white.

Baymule likes this.
  2. Feb 7, 2018
    BoboFarm

BoboFarm Overrun with beasties

What is her base coat? Black, chocolate or yellow? Pictures would be great :)

The standard states that a white spot on the chest is permissible. It appears that white spotting can run heavily in some lines. I'm not sure why the breeder would say they would disappear though. Did you look at the parents and pedigrees?

OkieFarmer22 likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2018
    OkieFarmer22

OkieFarmer22 Exploring the pasture

She is a chocolate lab. I got her someone off craigslist who had a litter.. She's not registered or anything

4. Feb 7, 2018
    BoboFarm

BoboFarm Overrun with beasties

No guarantee that she's pure but pure can have spots, though it doesn't look horribly common. If the spots are large (chest and neck) they won't go away. Sometimes small spots on the chest will look like they go away because as the dog grows the spots stay the same size. Again, we'd love to see pictures :)

OkieFarmer22 likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

As others have said, most times the white areas are permanent. Since you don't have papers on the dog (registered) it makes no difference to the animal whatsoever. Love her for the dog she is and will become as she matures with your training and guidance! :love:thumbsup

OkieFarmer22 likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

We had a pure bred Lab that was brindle. he was out of a chocolate dad and black mom. The breeder gave him to us because he was mismarked. he was a wonderful dog and we loved him for all of his 13 years on earth.

Why the breeder said that the white would go away is beyond me. You have a special dog, just like we did. Love and cherish her, she will make you a great dog.

OkieFarmer22 likes this.