Lactating after spider bite.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m not 100% sure this is the right forum, but it seemed close. A few weeks ago one of my goats was bit by a spider on the end of her teat. That side has necrotized but the other is now lactating. The fluid tests negative on mastitis test strips, but it’s really thin and full of strands. The “milk” has a yellowish tint but is almost translucent and the weirdest thing, it smells like chlorine. When she was first started lactating it smelled yeasty and sweet but had blood/red milk in it. Has anyone heard of this before? I’ve been milking, but it’s obviously painful, is there anything I can do about that?

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like an infection, have you checked her temp? I had to be on antibiotics when i was bitten by a spider near my eye. If you have a vet i'd call them and ask what you can do for her. I'd say she needs to be on antibiotics

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like an infection, have you checked her temp? I had to be on antibiotics when i was bitten by a spider near my eye. If you have a vet i'd call them and ask what you can do for her. I'd say she needs to be on antibiotics
Her temp is normal, and she was on antibiotics for over a week when it first happened. My biggest problem is she is obviously in pain when I milk her and I can almost feel clumps. I really need to know if there is any way to make her more comfortable while I’m milking. I was also curious if anyone has had their goat randomly lactate after a spider bite (she hasn’t been around a Billie for the four years we’ve had her so there’s no reason she should be.)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd be milking unless it was just to prevent mastitis. You can massage castor oil into the udder and teats to help with pain and inflammation there...will also help draw out the infection. You can find castor oil at any pharmacy and even at Dollar General, in the laxative aisle.

If you continue to milk, you can use the castor oil about 10 min. prior to doing so and it will help dull the pain.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd be milking unless it was just to prevent mastitis. You can massage castor oil into the udder and teats to help with pain and inflammation there...will also help draw out the infection. You can find castor oil at any pharmacy and even at Dollar General, in the laxative aisle.

If you continue to milk, you can use the castor oil about 10 min. prior to doing so and it will help dull the pain.
Thank you so much! I’m only milking to prevent mastitis, and because she is so swollen and painful. I will use the oil tonight.

Latest posts