Lactose intolerant bottle baby

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the little one has come around and is now thriving. Please don't feel like folks are/were judging you... It's very rare to find a goat knowledgeable vet. Since you seem to have found one, I'm sure everyone here will readily tell you to keep him/her! The folks who were trying to help have decades of experience with goats and were sharing what they've experienced. Nobody here would willingly try to steer someone wrong. And I'm also pretty sure we'd all willingly admit we don't know it all and there's always a "one off" that has never been seen before. Just one more bit of knowledge for all of us to store in memory just in case.

Lizjax

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the little one has come around and is now thriving. Please don't feel like folks are/were judging you... It's very rare to find a goat knowledgeable vet. Since you seem to have found one, I'm sure everyone here will readily tell you to keep him/her! The folks who were trying to help have decades of experience with goats and were sharing what they've experienced. Nobody here would willingly try to steer someone wrong. And I'm also pretty sure we'd all willingly admit we don't know it all and there's always a "one off" that has never been seen before. Just one more bit of knowledge for all of us to store in memory just in case.
You are right. I really don't believe anyone here would knowingly steer me wrong, that's why I was surprised to see all the comments about how wrong or misinformed I was. My vet is amazing. He is constantly keeping up his education and requires his staff to do so. I was surprised to see one have a lactose issue. With every new baby we are learning more and more. I had the very first one we bought back in December die of a birth defect. She had a kidney that was enlarged and not attached. He could easily move it around her abdominal cavity. She only had a small amount of colostrum because she wouldn't eat due to her kidney. She died on Christmas eve. Our vet did everything he could to save her. He even came out to the office for us Christmas eve day but it was too late. That's when we found our about her kidney, she died later that afternoon. Ever since then we take all precautions.

Lizjax

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does anyone here breed for specific colors or markings such as Moonspots or blue eyes? I think that may be the reason she has had so much trouble.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hated to "like" your last post for how it ended. Sorry you lost the doeling. Such a shame and what a lousy Christmas present. :(

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Lizjax I am happy that your little goat is doing well. For most people it isn't the lactose in cow's milk that they can't tolerate, it is the protein for some and the fat for others. I have done my homework on this for marketing for my dairy. Goat milk dairy products will contain almost exactly the same amount of lactose as cow's milk dairy products. Goat's milk contains a different collection of proteins, which means that a small minority of those with cow's milk protein allergies can safely drink goat's milk. But that's simply not the case for those with lactose intolerance. You can have as much or as little goat's milk dairy as you can have cow's milk dairy ... or sheep's milk or camel's milk or horse's milk or whatever other kind of animal milk product you can find in a store. Many people that think that they are lactose intolerant really aren't.

Perhaps you kid truly has an allergy to the protein in cow's milk. But glad that you found something that works.