Lalabugs 2020 kidding thread

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's a tiny amount of goo. Not the string of amber goo. She's still staying away from the herd. Do not want to keep her locked up until she's actually in labor.
Would not mind if it's at night. Have a drs appointment in the morning.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I noticed that Marie is starting to get an udder. Not anything huge. The upper part of her udder is meatier than it use to be. Makes me wonder if she's due sooner than the dates I was given. The earliest with the dates given is not until May 30th.

I usually notice around 8 weeks out that the does start to make an udder. I'd be happier with April babies than May. April is a lot cooler than May.
Here is a comparison picture from the night we brought her home and a pic from today.
Marie 3.5.20.png

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well Rhea is due tomorrow. Rheas udder doubled in size. However it's no where near full. She's got a very tiny udder. However she already has goo. She hasn't had goo. Nillas udder is still not full. Driving me nuts.

I'm suppose to take my boys clothes shopping tomorrow. We have to go into the city for that as we have no shops like that up here. Plus picking the buckling up tomorrow. We shall see what the does look like in the am.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Both Nilla and Rhea do not have a full udder. We're suppose to get a storm tomorrow. Hopefully they'll kid tomorrow. Day 152 for Nilla, Day 145 for Rhea.
We will be leaving to get our new buck this afternoon. I can not wait to bring him home.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still no huge udders. Rhea is acting really strange this am. She did not eat any of her grain this am. She is screaming. She wants my daughter RIGHT next to her. She is usually very skittish and only comes during feeding time. Not wanting us to touch her. Her udder is larger, but not full or tight. Hopefully in the next 24 hours with her odd behavior.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well my goats are not following any of the rules! Rhea screamed her head off ALL day yesterday. Checked her several times. I decided to lock the does back up early in case she did go into labor.
I watched the camera for hours. She'd have 1 good contraction every 10-30 minutes. Mostly small contractions. I went out and checked her at 9pm.
Her udder was still super small not tight or full.

I decide to go to bed. I get woke up to blood curdling screams from Rhea at 11pm.

I yell to my oldest daughter. She's up already. I grab our kidding bag and head out to Rhea.

When we get into the pen i see a hoof and a nose/tongue. Not sure how long the kid had been there but it was trying to breath. Cleaned it's nose. Rhea wasn't making progress. I grabbed the one hoof and pulled with her contractions. Once I got the leg out most of the way, Rhea pushed him out. We got him cleaned up, cord dipped. Out came another one.
Rhea had twins! 1 buck 1 doe. The buck looks just like the sire.
I'm worried Rhea will not make enough milk for both with her small udder. It's the smallest udder I've ever seen.
This is the doe.
20200309_072333.jpg
20200309_071214.jpg
20200309_071230.jpg

Buck
20200309_071317.jpg
20200309_072319.jpg
20200309_071436.jpg
20200309_071428.jpg

Nilla still is not looking full either. Not sure how much longer she can hold out.

Attachments

• 20200308_211631.jpg
    20200308_211631.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 151

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she isn't you can us store bought cow milk as a sub. I had to with my first kids the replacer just made them sick. And ironically my calf also refuses to eat the replacers she now is on regular milk. And I would just watch to make sure she might fill in a bit late. Better to make sure and if they wage their tails while eating they are getting something. And you said (if i remember correctly) that she a ff so might take her body time to adjust. Oh and congratulations and good job to all three of you.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is a FF. I have some frozen goats colostrum. Just do not want to use it all, with having 2 more does to kid. I'm hoping to not need to supplement them, but we will see what happens. I'll bring her in on the stand later today to clean her up and see her udder. See if she has any milk in her after the kids eating all day.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My oldest daughter just reminded me that Nilla had a second breeding. I completely forgot. It was strange. She let the buck breed her 1 time. That's it. She was not interested in him after that 1 breeding. It was 27 days after the breeding where she would be due 2/29. I had to go back into my breeding notes to find the day. I have never had a doe before only allow a buck to breed her 1 time through out the entire day.

Assumed she took the first time. We have had does that did this before but took the first time. It's possible Nilla is not due until the 27th of this month. If that's the case she got cdt way to early.

We will not be retaining Rheas kids. We hope to retain a kid from Nilla and Nyx. Depending on what they have.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well my goats are not following any of the rules! Rhea screamed her head off ALL day yesterday. Checked her several times. I decided to lock the does back up early in case she did go into labor.
I watched the camera for hours. She'd have 1 good contraction every 10-30 minutes. Mostly small contractions. I went out and checked her at 9pm.
Her udder was still super small not tight or full.

I decide to go to bed. I get woke up to blood curdling screams from Rhea at 11pm.

I yell to my oldest daughter. She's up already. I grab our kidding bag and head out to Rhea.

When we get into the pen i see a hoof and a nose/tongue. Not sure how long the kid had been there but it was trying to breath. Cleaned it's nose. Rhea wasn't making progress. I grabbed the one hoof and pulled with her contractions. Once I got the leg out most of the way, Rhea pushed him out. We got him cleaned up, cord dipped. Out came another one.
Rhea had twins! 1 buck 1 doe. The buck looks just like the sire.
I'm worried Rhea will not make enough milk for both with her small udder. It's the smallest udder I've ever seen.
This is the doe. View attachment 70705View attachment 70706View attachment 70707

Buck
View attachment 70708View attachment 70709View attachment 70710View attachment 70711

Nilla still is not looking full either. Not sure how much longer she can hold out.
The do’s looks just like my doeling Sugar!! They are sweet!! Congrats!!!! Hopefully Nilla will go fast and smooth!!!👌

Last edited: