Lalabugs 2020 kidding thread

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A lot has changed since last year kidding season.
We sold all of our unregistered goats.
With our children showing, we needed all registered goats. We are trying to keep our numbers small.

We have 2 ND does bred. Nilla is due 2/29. Rhea is due 3/7. We're excited to see what both have. Both does are FF.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nilla is starting to get round. 5 weeks 5 days until day 145 for Nilla. We can not wait until kidding starts. Rhea is not looking pregnant at all.

I am going to pick up a LaMancha doe today. Excited to add her to our little herd.
Her lines are:
Marie Pedigree.jpg

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just got home with the doe. She was in with a buck in August. They said they were not sure if she took or not. They put her back in with the buck. Shes been in with the buck about 2 weeks. The owner did say her udder looks like it is starting to fill.
Screenshot_20200120-184957.png

What do you all think? She has freshened before.

I will be pulling blood to send off for testing along with pregnancy.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting to send off a pregnancy test on the new doe. We're calling her Marie. Her udder to me is not an udder of a doe who will kid in 1 week 6 days.

Nilla is having ketosis signs. She is being really lazy. Not acting her normal self. Tested her urine. Sure enough she is mild on the strip. We have started treating her. She still has 5 weeks 2 days left. Stressing over her. The only other time I have dealt with ketosis is when Honey was pregnant with quints. Nilla is not that large. We were able to get Honey through her pregnancy with no issues. I will be keeping a close eye on Nilla.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a ketosis scare with my ND Busty in Dec...luckily it was just overjelous advice...now I’m on this forum :). I will be watching this thread to see see how your girls do. I kind of agree, that, Marie doesn’t look,..umm, like she took? But, I’m a newbie, so, take that with a grain of salt..:). My girls are due in a week..and are...lazy..I am..not stressing...hmmm? :lol: I’m hoping I got the dates right..we put the buck in with our does..Busty was in heat right away, but, I didn’t really see any Pearl with Stormy, so, I’m just thinking she took pretty quick...well soon see...:)

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got some pictures while out feeding tonight. Three pictures of Nilla. One picture of Rhea. Rhea is not friendly. Trying to get a picture of her was a challenge.
@Duckfarmerpa1 Do you have a kidding thread started for your goats? How are your does udders looking? Nilla and Rhea are starting to form an udder. Tiny little udders so far.

I give our does the run of the property, besides where we have the bucks. When I bring our dogs out to play/potty. The goats run to their hill and watch the dogs. When I let the dogs out yesterday Nilla did not budge. Just let them run past her. Not normal. When I pulled into the drive, she again did not budge. Usually the does run to the fence when they see me pull up to the fence, then run away once I start driving in. She did not get up at all. Her ketones were down to trace tonight. Hopefully they keep going down and stay that way the rest of the pregnancy.

First three pictures are Nilla. Last picture is Rhea.
20200123_164140.jpg
20200123_164207.jpg
20200123_164539.jpg
20200123_164509.jpg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got some pictures while out feeding tonight. Three pictures of Nilla. One picture of Rhea. Rhea is not friendly. Trying to get a picture of her was a challenge.
@Duckfarmerpa1 Do you have a kidding thread started for your goats? How are your does udders looking? Nilla and Rhea are starting to form an udder. Tiny little udders so far.

I give our does the run of the property, besides where we have the bucks. When I bring our dogs out to play/potty. The goats run to their hill and watch the dogs. When I let the dogs out yesterday Nilla did not budge. Just let them run past her. Not normal. When I pulled into the drive, she again did not budge. Usually the does run to the fence when they see me pull up to the fence, then run away once I start driving in. She did not get up at all. Her ketones were down to trace tonight. Hopefully they keep going down and stay that way the rest of the pregnancy.

First three pictures are Nilla. Last picture is Rhea.
View attachment 69193View attachment 69194View attachment 69195View attachment 69196
Oh how cute!! Yes, my thread is called C & D Farming Kidding Thread... C&D Farming is the name of our farm..my hubby is Chris, I’m Denise. My journal is called, C&D Farming..Oh What a Life! Both are...pretty interesting. We’ve rescued most of our animals..including our goats. Their udders are pretty bagged up. I had them both on the goat stand today...unfortunately, they have lice!! Ugh..so we had to treat that...ugh! But it gave me a great chance to check things out. Stormy, my Pygmy mix..who is due 1st..I think. Is bagged up well..this will be her %1st freshening...once again, I think...based on my general knowledge on her...I think I have a good idea, due to the fact of her udder before, etc. She is uncomfortable...I think she only has one...she’s not that big..but, I could be wrong? Busty...she has about 12days left, her bag looks good too, but...she got her name because, her udder was big when we got her...so it wasn’t tight...clearly not her first freshening. She has more room to fill in her bag. But she is big...definitely two in there...maybe three? Honestly, I’d rather two, since I am new, and, will have my hands full with these already. :). It’s funny that you say you let them have the run of the place...I just wrote in anothe4 thread, that I actually let my girls free range. It’s with supervision...but, they have learned their perimeter...and they do not stray...it’s wild...I though5 for sure that when I mentioned it, I would get grief..so, I was reluctant to do so, but, the other person..I forget now..said he did the same! is that what you mean too? Aren’t goats just the best? I can’t imagine not having them, not that we do. My hubby teases that they are the worst investmest he’s ever made...(they are pet goats, never meant to earn money...none of the farm is meant for earning..lol.). But, he whines that we’d have to sell the kids for $1,000 each just to get what I spent this week...:lol:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Goats can surprise you. I had a mini lamancha that I thought was only having one. She had no roundness to her at all. She had triplets! I was surprised! I am curious what ours will have as well. We still have 5 and 6 weeks! On facebook, in all the goat groups I am in. A lot of people are posting kidding pictures. It's killing me! We are ready for babies already.

Our property is fully fenced. Out where we live, people do not contain their dogs. I see about 3-4 dogs a day. I'd fear the dogs would come after our goats, if we did not have fencing.

I could not imagine our life with out our goats. We love them.

Marie has no change in her udder since we brought her home. Pretty sure she is not bred from the first time. I really hope she wasn't bred the second time, but we will pull blood to check. She is thin, coat is horrible. I would rather get her in better condition and breed her at the end of the year.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nilla has 31 days until day 145. We are getting really excited! She is rather round. Curious how many she will have. Rhea has 38 days. We are starting to get close.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200129-191459~2.png

Nilla on the camera tonight. Hubby is guessing quads.