Lalabugs - Kidding done

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Trouble is beautiful! How much of a difference, milk wise do you get between Trouble & the full size? We will only have Honey who's nigerian in milk for awhile.
Next season we will hopefully have all 4 girls bred. If marshmallow is big enough to breed.

We will keep weight records on Marshmallow to see how she's growing.

Kidding season can't come fast enough! The breeder we're hopefully getting a buck through. Her kidding season is suppose to start sometime this month. Keep checking for updates on her website. Nothing yet. I can't wait.

Would anyone mind looking at the breeder we're planning on going through and give us some input?

http://www.cottonwoodcroft.com/kidding-schedule-2017.html

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok...silly question, what breed are these goats with no ears??? I find them very amusing to look at :)

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lamanchas . Marshmallow is lamancha/nigerian dwarf mix, mini mancha.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trouble is beautiful! How much of a difference, milk wise do you get between Trouble & the full size? We will only have Honey who's nigerian in milk for awhile.
Next season we will hopefully have all 4 girls bred. If marshmallow is big enough to breed.

We will keep weight records on Marshmallow to see how she's growing.

Kidding season can't come fast enough! The breeder we're hopefully getting a buck through. Her kidding season is suppose to start sometime this month. Keep checking for updates on her website. Nothing yet. I can't wait.

Would anyone mind looking at the breeder we're planning on going through and give us some input?

http://www.cottonwoodcroft.com/kidding-schedule-2017.html

We do not disbud. Our kids are either horned or polled. If you would like a kid disbudded. We will be more then happy to put the kid on a bottle for you to take home early and disbud at your place. We don't vaccinate our goats. They can be started on vaccinations if you want once you take them home.

This is a little odd to me. Almost their entire herd is disbudded or polled, but they won't disbud a kid?
Seems like you don't mind horns, so that probably isn't a big deal for you.
Not vaccinating them would be a concern as well. I know others that have lost goats to enterotoxemia that isn't something to play around with. Just make sure you vaccinate the kid right away!
Another thing- do they test for CAE, CL, or Johne's? They seem to be charging a good bit for horned, un-vaccinated, & untested goats.

We guarantee that all goats sold are healthy as represented at the time of sale. But we can not control environmental influences and/or conditions once the animal leaves our care. So we can't offer any other guarantees. For bio-security there are no returns or exchanges all sales are final.
This is concerning as well... Someone just posted on a lamancha group that they had just bought 3 lamanchas... All were supposed to be CAE negative. They weren't but the sellers wouldn't honor it, even though this was right after the goats were purchased IOW it wasn't a several month gap.

Are they doing parasite or cocci prevention/management/monitoring?
If they sell you a kid that is loaded with cocci and the kid drops dead 3 days later, and a necrospy shows the kid was alredy infested, what would they do?

Genetics wise, it does look like they might be working with some decent lines. They don't however have any udder photos???? Just my .02 :)

Ok...silly question, what breed are these goats with no ears??? I find them very amusing to look at :)
Posted on my thread to not hijack this one. Lots of pics were posted.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trouble is beautiful! How much of a difference, milk wise do you get between Trouble & the full size?
Trouble has milked very well for us! She peaked at 7.5lbs and has been very consistent. She is the type that milks whatever you ask of her. If I were milking her 3 or 4 times a day I bet she would hit well over 8 pounds. I'm thinking she will hit 8lbs as a 3rd freshener on our normal milking schedule.
Of course not every Mini will milk that much. She is a really good doe :)

Lamancha does can vary on how much they give. Some show breeder I know can't even get a full 8 pounds because milk volume isn't the goal. The breeder or several of our goats have does that will milk over 16lbs. So it really depend on management, genetics, size, & nutrition. Goats that don't get milked until the kids are fully weaned aren't going to give as much as a doe that was milked 4x a day from the day she kidded.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trouble has milked very well for us! She peaked at 7.5lbs and has been very consistent. She is the type that milks whatever you ask of her. If I were milking her 3 or 4 times a day I bet she would hit 8 pounds.
Of course not every Mini will milk that much. She is a really good doe :)

Lamancha does can vary on how much they give. Some show breeder I know can't even get a full 8 pounds because milk volume isn't the goal. The breeder or several of our goats have does that will milk over 16lbs. So it really depend on management, genetics, size, & nutrition. Goats that don't get milked until the kids are fully weaned aren't going to give as much as a doe that was milked 4x a day from the day she kidded.

:idunno I don't understand what you are saying unless it was a typo-
Trouble milked 5.5-6 lbs as a FF with a single
2nd F - 7.5 was not really a peak- she stayed there ... weird we couldn't get that little extra for 8 lbs...
I DO think if trouble was milked 3-4 x day she would hit over 10lbs a day

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, but so far her maximum output has been 7.5 pounds, that is why I called it peak. A goat can be at peak production for months…

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been in contact with the breeder. I got udder pictures from two of her does. We wanted to stay local as much as possible. The other breeder here is not breeding this kidding. She just moved to a new property with more land that she's getting set up for her goats. (That breeder is Honey's breeder.) We wanted to get a buck that is not related to honey.

Eclipse.jpg
Eclipse
Nova.jpg
Nova

Have not asked for other does udders. I emailed asking about the testing/cocci prevention. Waiting to hear back. Also hard to decide on what we need to improve honey's udders until she kids. How often do you milk? I don't see us milking 3-4 times a day. The plan so far is am/pm milking.

Latest posts