Lalabugs - Kidding done

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm considering infection with the goat ...early stage. I'd flush her if she were mine, after I was certain no kid in there. Looks too thick for any afterbirth fluids, IMO. Generally the placenta drops and does not look like that, the rest is far thinner fluid.

Now, any chance she may have aborted a few days ago? Not cleaned out? How far would/should she be if preg? An owl, hawk, fox could have taken the kid(s). Just my thoughts from the picture. Also possibility she never conceived and has a uterine infection......

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The does all get locked up in their own personal birthing pen at night. When I put the does up she did not have anything on her. We check on the goats periodically through out the day while they're out and about. She had nothing on her. She was in her birthing pen a good 3 hours before she started screaming. When I noticed the first discharge/wetness on her.

I honestly do not know how far along she should have been. She was not suppose to be bred. I'm assuming we had a buck escape I was never told about because of this and Rose getting an udder. Roses udder is getting bigger, when ever she kids. I'll have a time frame when the bucks got out. The fluids do not look anything like a normal birth.

With a uterine infection would she have a higher temp?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, any time there is an infection there will be a temp swing, either high or low. The bigger the infection being fought, the bigger the temp swing.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a goat abort her kids late pregnancy and went on to milk for 6 months. Wouldn't settle the next year and vet said probably a low grade uterine infection caused scar tissue and I never noticed. She never skipped a beat, no sign of illness at all. Now I flush any doe that miscarries or gives birth to dead kids.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I continue to check her temp. It has stayed in the same range. No spike or drop. She is still having discharge.

Not to sound stupid, but i'm assuming you mean to give them antibiotics to flush them? If so, what antibiotic and how much? I have 0 antibiotics. I would have to run to the feed store.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My vet does a uterine flush with tetracycline powder in water but not sure you can buy that anymore or if you would have the tools to do it. I don't. I use a uterine bolus that a friend gave me but I am not sure that they would actually treat an infection, they are more of a preventative. Maybe get her a shot of lute to clean her out?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lute is a vet rx right? I do not know how I will get it. The vets here will not see goats.

Just to explain the vets thoughts here. The breeder I bought our Mini Nubian from called every vet up here. Her doe was in labor and in distress. She tried getting every vet out to help her doe. The two large animal vets told her they would not drive to see just a goat. The doe died that night. This has been my experience as well. They will not even give the CD&T or do blood draws. Nothing.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lute is a vet rx right? I do not know how I will get it. The vets here will not see goats.

Just to explain the vets thoughts here. The breeder I bought our Mini Nubian from called every vet up here. Her doe was in labor and in distress. She tried getting every vet out to help her doe. The two large animal vets told her they would not drive to see just a goat. The doe died that night. This has been my experience as well. They will not even give the CD&T or do blood draws. Nothing.

yes, I think you need a vet rx to get Lute.

we give our own CD&T shots and draw blood to send in for testing. We struggled to find a vet in our area that would see goats, we got lucky and found a vet that is willing to help us out even though he doesn't know a lot about goats.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She tried getting every vet out to help her doe. The two large animal vets told her they would not drive to see just a goat. The doe died that night.

If they won't do a farm call for a single goat, does that mean they won't see a goat if you brought it in to them? I mean, if it's a life or death issue, couldn't you put down some blankets or sheets or something and put the goat in the back seat and take it to them? You really should try to establish a relationship with one of the vets so even if they won't actually DO anything for your animals, at least they may be willing to write the prescriptions to get the stuff you can't get otherwise.

For the CD&T and blood draws, it's relatively easy to do yourself. As H&R said above... you can buy the goat CD&T as well as needles and syringes at most farm stores or order it all online. Same for the test tubes for blood samples... There are plenty if videos online you can watch to see how it's done. You might be a little nervous the first time but once you've done it, you'll see it's really not difficult. (especially if unlike me, you have a helper to assist holding the goat)