Lalabugs - Kidding done

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I should have explained better. I do have a vet. She is a great vet for small animals. She will not see farm animals. She recommended the one large animal vet. However that large animal vet does NOT see goats. He does not have an office. He only does farm calls.

The second large animal vet will also not see goats, unless it's to put them down. He is also extremely rude. I will not use him, even for euthanasia. The other small animal vet will see horses only. Not goats. She will see animals to euthanize an animal that is suffering.

I do not have a issue with giving CDT or doing blood draw. I was just using it as an example, that something so simple they do not do. I even asked both large animal vets if they could just draw the blood and I would send off the blood to the place. Would not do that. I have given CDT and drew blood myself. I give my dogs all their shots (besides rabies). It would make it a million times easier to have a vet come out and do it.

I am making calls to the city & surrounding areas large animal vets to see if I can find one that will see her. Hopefully I can find someone.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call your vet -- the small animal one -- ask if she will send a sample to be checked/cultured for infection if you bring it in....OR where can you take it to find out. If the mucus shows infection, they can do a sensitivity to tell you what to give to cure. Until then, you could consider giving her a broad spectran antibiotic that "may" prove helpful to clear her up if in fact it is an infection.

To be certain, this is not normal for her. There are only so many reasons for a discharge and we've pretty well covered them. Now, you need to choose for yourself. I can only suggest what I would do if it were my goat and that's what I have done.

A flush is introducing meds into the goat's uterine, thru the vaginal tract. A pipette is normally used to place the meds. I have done many horses, same as AI for them. It is something you need to know how to do as you will enter the cervix and it needs to be open. Well goats are smaller and it's a little more complicated......not something you do without training. Sorry. BUT I would persue defining the mucus. For one, to help the doe as it could cause long term issues. For two, IF a buck breeds her and then another doe, it is possible the result will be 3 goats with a medical issue.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
First- I am terribly sorry to hear of your recent loss :hugs

I agree with @Mini Horses
You might be able to go directly through UC Davis and see if you can send out a sample yourself. I have never experienced something like this, so am not much help there BUT I do know that goats can carry dead kids for quite sometime (years). Sometimes they will mummify, sometimes not.

I know a breeder here in NC had a doe that had a rough kidding (it was either a 1 or 2 kids). After that the doe would never settle. After over a year of this they had the vet out. The vet had to do an internal exam and found a mummified kid :eek:

I am still catching up here- but did you ever "go in" and see if you could feel anything? Sorry if I missed it.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I found a vet to see Diva. I was told that she probably had a cloudburst. Sometimes they can have a bloody discharge. Sometimes they do not. No fever, no foul smell. Did not put her on any meds. Double checked to make sure she had no kids in her. She did not. Was told if anything changed, fever or smell to get her back in.

Diva discharge stopped a few days ago. We have been checking her for a fever every day. No fever. She is completely dried up. Today she was flirting with the buck. Is it normal for them to go back into heat that fast? I did not ask the vet about going back into heat. Was not even thinking about that. Just wanted to make sure she was okay.

Other does updates.

Rose is getting a good size udder. She has to be bred. She continues to lose small bits of plug.
Rose 12.13.png
Rose on 12/13

Marshmallow is due 1/18/18. Her udder is smaller than Roses udder.
Mellow 12.13.png
Marshmallow on 12/13

I do not know when to give Rose her CDT shot.

I do not think pumpkin is pregnant. Her udder is now completely gone. I have not seen her in heat either.

Willow & Honey are looking huge! I can not wait for babies! Need to get new pictures of Willow & Honey. Been stressing over Diva & Rose.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have Nigerian dwarf FF progress pictures? Trying to be prepared for Rose to give birth. Just do not know how far out she is. I would like to give her the CDT in the correct amount of time.

Honey is HUGE! She has 5 weeks 6 days left. She's a lot larger than last years pregnancy.
Honey 12.17.jpg
Picture taken today. Any guesses on how many she has?

Latest posts