Lalabugs - Kidding done

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.
It's possible, I would assume. My husband already buried the doe and whatever the other was.
The bucks are doing great. They're eating, jumping around. Absolutely adorable. Honey is doing an amazing job. My husband brought them all inside last night. The small buck was shaking even with being dried off & a heat lamp. My husband has a big soft spot for the little buck. My husband named them both. I will get some pics of them by themselves here shortly.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Haven't gotten one with them separate yet. Got lots of them cuddling.
20170203_174551.jpg

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really cute kids. Sorry about the lost one, sometimes weird things just happen.

Where in Central CA do you live that you are getting snow? You must be in the Sierra foothills somewhere. I live up by Redding and thankfully out of the snow zone.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. I know weird things can happen. We're just thankful the two bucklings are healthy and doing amazing. They're on Honey but we're spending a lot of time out with them. They're back out in the kidding pen. My husband named the small one gremlin, my daughter named the bigger one grizzle.

When do you all introduce Momma & babies back to the herd? My husbands doe Willow is freaking out that her buddy is not out with them. We have had to keep her locked up next to Honey & babies so she's not freaking out.

I live in Lake Isabella. We usually only get snow on the mountains around us. Not actually down to the lake. The whole Valley was white.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's been awhile. The boys are now 8 weeks old. How time flies! It's been such an amazing time going through the birthing process & them growing up. We have the boys sold already. The will leave once they are 12 weeks.

We got our buckling from the breeder. He's a bottle baby. Hubby also fell in love with a doeling. Will have to get updated pictures of them. Doe has been named Rose, buck has been named Scooby. Here are pictures from breeder.

Rose Scooby
p1014616-2.jpg
p1016925-2.jpg

How long after a doe kids, do you normally rebreed? We are thinking around september. Not sure if that is a normal enough time for her to recoup from having kids.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Boys.jpg

The boys are almost 3 months old. How time flies when playing with kids. :love They leave the end of the week to go home. They are staying together, both wethered.

How soon do you all rebreed your Nigerian does? We want to give honey time off before rebreeding her. We are not milking her. She is a NIGHTMARE to milk! I tried every trick to be able to milk her. She was not having it.

I did search the forums, where I seen someone said 2-3 months off. Then breed?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's pretty rare that we re breed a doe, I think one time we did at 3 months. Seeing how she had trips and than that other "thing" I'd give her a few more months and make sure she is well conditioned, parasites taken care of, etc.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We do not want to breed her right away. Since she was heck to milk. We were talking about breeding her again or selling her. We are only wanting to keep goats we can milk. My husband really wants to get a baby to keep from her. Possibly July breeding? I can get pictures of her to show you her condition now. We will be running fecals on everyone Wed.

We have also been looking into a full size goat. We're not sure though. We do have a local gal who breeds La Manchas & La Mancha crosses. The La Manchas are not due until May & June.

The two crosses that we're looking into are a Togg/La Mancha. Or a 25% Togg 25% La Mancha 50% Nubian. All goats are tested CAE, CL & Johns. With herd being negative. Also all does are put on milk test.

I did read that the Togg have really horrible milk? I did talk to the breeder about it. She said the togg does have milk that she personally does not like. Which is why she's always crosses her with a La Mancha buck. Said her off springs milk is not horrible.
Any thoughts of breed and milk flavor?

We're looking for milk production. We are a large family, who needs a good amount of milk a day.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She said the togg does have milk that she personally does not like. Which is why she's always crosses her with a La Mancha buck. Said her off springs milk is not horrible.

Just me, but IMHO someone who says "it's not horrible" would scare me away! Unless they say "It's outstanding" or to that affect, why risk it? Better yet, ask for a sample taste and decide for yourself!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She did offer us to taste the milks before deciding. The other does have not kidded yet. We're waiting for them to kid, then we will set up a date that we can go out to see the goats & taste the milk to decide for ourselves.

Just wondering if other people have noticed a difference in the milk with the different breeds?

Latest posts