Lalabugs - Kidding done

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Goat Whisperer - if not testing for anything, no cdt, and no info regarding what constitutes "healthy" I would be asking lots of questions.
They all may be perfectly healthy and fine just not much to go on.

I am always concerned about lack of CDT's. This year GW and I saw more than we wanted to with kids dying from farms that did not vacinate for CDT. Sad senseless deaths.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What is the absolute latest that you can vaccinate a pregnant doe with cd&t? Went to my local feedstore to get a bottle, they were out. Wont have any until next shipment. A week from today. 145 days will be Jan 31st for honey. Would giving her the CD&T vaccine next friday be to late?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There is one other feedstore, but they don't carry shots. They have a very limited supply of other feeds as well. The next feed store is 1 1/2 hours away.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Breeder wrote me back. Her whole herd was tested August 2016 coming back negative.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeder wrote me back. Her whole herd was tested August 2016 coming back negative.
That is great. Ask for documentation. IOW YOU WANT TO SEE IT! What was tested for?
No breeder that tests is offended by this. Many will forward results gladly.

One time I was looking at a buck and asked for results- it was out of state and I wanted to know BEFORE I drove.
The person said they didn't have the results their vet did.
1. breeder should always have a copy regardless this does two things- ONE they know exactly what was tested for and TWO you as the breeder can confirm... mistakes can happen!
2. wait til they can produce a copy

I waited several days, the person did forward me testing results.... only problem was the vet wasn't a goat vet and did not test the goat for ANYTHING goat related. They were all bovine tests! :th
Goat didn't have any bovine diseases :lol:

Another farm THOUGHT their vet was testing for CAE... they never got results just a phone call saying they were negative. Lack of communication on both parties really. BUT if they were getting a paper copy then all could have been avoided. They ended up finding out they were CAE positive! This has happened to quite a few. The vets weren't bad vets, the breeders were good breeders... it just happened and if both parties had reviewed results than mistakes are easier to catch.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
While I was out cleaning goat pens, I noticed honey was shaking her head a lot. Along with scratching her right ear a lot. I looked inside her ear. I do not see anything. Does not look inflamed. She was in hog heaven as I rubbed her ear. Not sure what it could be? This just started today.