Lalabugs - Kidding done

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor boy! I was going to make several recommendations but since you’ve been to the vet as I read further, I’ll stick to something else that might come up.

1) He needs wormed. He doesn’t stand a chance at recovering if he’s full of worms. (Belly doesn’t have to look big to be full of worms.) The vet may have done this while there or sent it with you. Just didn’t want it to get missed.

2) Food may lead to diarrhea...watch closely as he will loose precious nutrients and fluids if this starts. Cottage cheese, rice, and plain yogurt can all be used to help prevent and/or treat this. (Obviously in small amounts of using to prevent but can be switched to almost total combo of afore mentioned if diarrhea gets bad.)

Best of luck! Blessings will rain down on you for caring for him!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vet did not worm him or anything. No weight, no meds. She just checked him over. Since he's "not my property" and a chance for the owners to come forward the vets will not see him yet.

If he gets worse they will see him. Here after 2 weeks of taking care of him and actively looking for the owners. The dog becomes your property. At the 1 1/2 week mark we can bring him back in to be checked. Since it's closer to the time frame that he will be "my property".

I will worm him. He did get diarrhea from the canned food this morning. The vet did warn me about that. That was one of the reasons she suggested to mix wet with dry and she said depending on what he has been eating, even that can give him diarrhea. I drove to the city and got him senior dry dog food and more senior wet food. He has not urinated yet though. He is drinking and eating. He has a doggie bed we just bought him on my side of the bed. He loves it.

I will keep everyone updated on how he is doing. Thank you everyone for all the advice. I greatly appreciate it.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2) Food may lead to diarrhea...watch closely as he will loose precious nutrients and fluids if this starts. Cottage cheese, rice, and plain yogurt can all be used to help prevent and/or treat this. (Obviously in small amounts of using to prevent but can be switched to almost total combo of afore mentioned if diarrhea gets bad.)
Don't forget canned or fresh mashed pumpkin. It is great with sensitive stomachs. I used it with my dog when he was a 4week old puppy. I also still use it with him as he likes to raid the garbage or scrap bowls looking for chicken or bones. Just one bite of bone tears his belly up.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love people with tender hearts towards animals. You can really tell a lot about people that way. :bowto you for caring enough to take an old throwaway and giving him another chance. You did not have to do it and I believe God will shine down on you for it. These are his creations and it is up to us to keep them from undeserved harm and suffering.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No one has come forward to say he is theirs. He is eating & drinking. He is starting to move on his own. We're not having to carry him outside to go to the bathroom as much. His diarrhea has started to clear up.

I have been keeping a daily log of food & water intake, out put & his weight. I'll be taking it with me to the vet.
His starting weight was 51 lbs.

We have been trying to find a name for him that he responds to. Right now he does not respond to much. Maybe hearing issues. I will have that checked.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. He will get to live his days out with us.

I am the person who adopts the old guys. My chi was 9 y/o at the shelter when I adopted her. That was 6 years ago. She is still going strong at 15.

To everyone who said they'd like an old dog when they look for another dog. Please do. The old guys do not get adopted. The only old dogs I seen leave the shelter were rescue pulls. That was because they were purebred.

I will keep everyone updated on him.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He is improving drastically. He is walking on his own, up and down our stairs with no issue. He's gaining great. I am still slowly upping his food until he's where he should be. I weighed him yesterday, he's up to 57 lbs.

He is so sweet and seems to be fully house trained. I have not crated him. He at first would not let us know when he needed to go out. He would start panting really hard. Now he lets us know when he's got to go out. He gets up and stares at us until we let him outside. If i'm not on time for him in the am, he will lick my hand until I wake up. He is such a sweet dog.

Chick question. DH loves Wyandottes, I ordered him some blues and some st. run mix wyandottes. One i'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any experience with this breed? Guesses?
20180315_102302.jpg
20180315_102308.jpg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is improving drastically. He is walking on his own, up and down our stairs with no issue. He's gaining great. I am still slowly upping his food until he's where he should be. I weighed him yesterday, he's up to 57 lbs.

He is so sweet and seems to be fully house trained. I have not crated him. He at first would not let us know when he needed to go out. He would start panting really hard. Now he lets us know when he's got to go out. He gets up and stares at us until we let him outside. If i'm not on time for him in the am, he will lick my hand until I wake up. He is such a sweet dog.

Chick question. DH loves Wyandottes, I ordered him some blues and some st. run mix wyandottes. One i'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any experience with this breed? Guesses?View attachment 45335 View attachment 45336

Yay for improvement!! Does he have a name yet?

Looks like a Gold Laced Wyandotte to me. I actually got 2 in my last group.
(L is an Ameracauna but R is a GLW.)
A38CF7D7-F51F-4BF4-A7EE-0D6A98E712BD.jpeg

Reactions: TAH

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad to hear he is doing better. As for the chick, it looks like a golden laced. Looks similar to mine when she was a chick.

Latest posts