Lamb born in 114F temps. Any special precautions?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get a rectal thermometer or a regular oral human thermometer and stick it in the bum to get lamb temps. Very easy.

Seasonal breeders breed in the Fall for Spring lambs. That'd be 'natural'.

Accelerated or Off-season/out-of-season breeders can breed usually any time of the year.
But such constant breeding can shorten breeding lifespan or otherwise negatively affect ewe health.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't help on this one. I know that @Bossroo used to raise sheep commercially (in CA) and perhaps he has some advice to offer. Another who does sheep in a hot climate is @The Old Ram-Australia but he only visits sporadically. Hopefully he'll see that he's been tagged and stop by for a visit. Other Sheeple who may have something to offer include @Sheepshape @mysunwolf @Roving Jacobs possibly @SheepGirl if she comes on and there are others as well. Hope it's nothing serious and the lamb comes around. Good luck with all your upcoming lambing.

G'day,sorry I'm a bit slow ,but we had to change satellites 2 weeks ago and on the 2nd day the system 'went down'.It seems the NBN has received a "dud lot of modems'.So it got fixed today.As to the problem we only get 40C (100F) in summer ,but it seems to me that the "key" is "deep shade" as the ground temp tends to be a fair bit cooler there ,its much the same in the winter as it tends to be "warmer' in there. That's about the best I can offer on the subject,apart from suggesting lambing a little earlier in the spring.We always try for mid spring but even then sometimes it snows in the middle of our lambing...T.O.R.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you again everyone for very, very good ideas. I will look today for some of those "misters." I remember having one years ago that was made of brass and you simply hooked it up to the end of the garden hose and sure enough, turned the summer garden into a subtropical rain forest!

Most of the shade in the perennial planted pastures is filtered shade from the eucalyptus trees. Now we will look into erecting a simply shade structure or even move the hoop house we made last year!