Lamb compost

jdhd003

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A few quick questions,
I always have 1 or 2 compost piles going, usually use 1 in the spring and the one I have left now is for next spring.
1 is sheep manure safe to compost?
2 they had tapeworms and I dewormed a few weeks ago and have not seen any sign since, poop also went back to normal from being all clumped up. I gave them a second dose yesterday to be sure. They make a mess out off their hay, leaving all the straw and stuff everywhere. That's not a big deal, but I would like to use the left over hay and possibly manure in the compost. Is this safe to do so? Any chance we can get worms from the compost used next spring to grow our veggies?

Thanks for the input.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep poo is a great fertiliser.....I grow HUGE pumpkins from it (then have to watch that the sheep don't get into the garden and eat the pumpkins).

Spoilt hay (soaked with urine) is second only to neat sheep droppings in fertilising capacity.

There's no chance that you will get sheep tapeworms....they are species specific. (Over here we are told not to worry too much about sheep tapeworms unless the sheep is visibly thin). Pig and beef tapeworms are a different matter....we can be affected by them.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a whole Silo worth of sheep manure and pee which goes on my garden so I sure hope its good lol.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't even compost sheep manure
A good idea to 'cut out the middle man'

Oh, and just to be clear about beef and pig tape worms, you won't catch them from composted poo, especially if you wash and cook your veg!. Their tape worms are caught from undercooked meat products (presumably contaminated by faecal products!). Taenia solium is the pork tapeworm and Taenia saginata (I think that's how it's spelt) from beef, with and Diphyllobothrium latum a fish tapeworm from undercooked fish.Think throwing cheap meat/fish on a barbecue and it being a bit raw in the middle. Eat the food, and 'voila', you have your own internal pet.....the Victorians used to purposefully swallow tapeworm eggs as a means of weight control.

Now, pigs and cows are usually wormed these days. Pink sausages from a barbecue are a definite 'no no'. Fish tapeworm can still be caught from raw/undercooked fish (think sushi).

Having just had the first real rain since May, I'll go out and collect some courgettes (zucchini)....you've guessed it......grown on a ton of sheep poo.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't compost it either but just put it on the raised beds. We found out that tomatoes REALLY enjoy the fertility.

jdhd003

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great, thanks for all the good info. It seems like such a shame to throw it all out.