-Resolved- LAMB JUST BORN! HELP? Don't know if I should interfere; not really prepared for this

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My GCN ewe just gave birth, even though I THOUGHT she was due at the beginning of February. Her udder is roundish, but small and I'm concerned about the lamb getting enough milk. She seems to latch on and suckle for a moment, but mom turns and baby loses her grip. Mom is a bit flighty, and harder for baby to catch when I get too close. The roads are frozen, but I don't have any colostrum or milk replacer. What should I do? Help a first-time lambing idiot out.

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, I just heard the words "up to 25 degrees" followed with a woot to describe the temperature. This is the coldest weather I have ever seen in Texas.
It's sunny, but the ground is cold and wet from yesterday's rain and snow.

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Baby has passed meconium; does that mean she's getting milk?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby has passed meconium; does that mean she's getting milk?

Yes, meconium is a great sign and usually means they've gotten at least a bit of milk! Keep watching for a few hours if you have the time and make sure you see her suckle a good deal of that time. Sounds like you should be good, though. Keep them dry, and congrats!

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just saw something white and creamy at the corner of baby girl's mouth, so I guess she's getting good stuff. :)
I'll post pictures when I can. I just wish the ground was dry! I'm afraid to move them into the barn because mom/Cherry gets nervous when I get close and I think she has another baby to birth.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd personally make a 6'x6' stall out of pallets or panels, grab the baby, and have her follow the lamb into the stall in the barn. But I am very hands on with my sheep, they are not too skittish. And we definitely need pictures!!

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The other sheep were harassing baby, so we moved the interlopers away into another paddock. Does that look like a second bubble/amnion coming out of mama?

Attachments

• DSC_0186.JPG
    DSC_0186.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 142