Lamb milk replacer

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's entirely possible this is pinned somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a recipe for lamb milk replacer? We were asked to take in a 3 day old ram lamb, one of three. The mom is feeding the other two but rejected the third. He wants to eat but she seems to have no interest in him. The farmer said he goes out three times a day and ties her to a fence so she cant move so the little guy can eat. He'd hoped she would give in and accept him but hasn't so he needs him gone ASAP.

We told him we would pick him up in the morning, so I need to grab stuff on the way. We have bottle fed a lot of animals including goats, but it looks like replacer for goats and sheep is different. Just want to check with the experts. :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I know for my goats, when I didn't have goat's milk, I just used regular store bought whole milk... NOT the 2% or less/skim... If you want to "bolster it" you could always add a little Karo syrup, or molasses... Or maybe some 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream to up the fat percentage. Typically I believe sheep milk is higher fat than goat's milk... I may be mistaken there... @Sheepshape @mysunwolf @Mike CHS @Baymule Since the farmer did get the lamb to nurse, at least it should have gotten some colostrum... very important.

Good luck with him and hope you'll share some pics when you get him.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have only had to feed a couple of lambs and used whole milk from the store. We have lamb milk replacer but couldn't get the lambs (either time) to take more than a couple of sips. I really would try to confirm that he got colostrum or I wouldn't take it in.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did talk to him for quite a while and he said he's been tying ..... tieing? ..... mom three times a day so he can nurse, and it included day one so I'm comfortable that he got colostrum.

Ok. I had a whole milk, buttermilk, evaporated milk concoction for goat kids that was great. I read lambs need more protein so some people add raw eggs. Kind of worried me but if anyone thinks it's a good idea I can grab some from the hen house.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used that mixture on kid goats minus the egg, but i also added probiotic to it. It is much more costly than cows milk though...good luck :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Please let us know how the little guy progresses on your "formula". Pics too if you will :) Everyone loves baby animal pics.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just did plain whole milk. I tried to add molasses, yogurt and evaporated milk and he did not approve. He still isn't sure about the bottle. Seems to take enough to get by but still hopes a mommy will come along. Hubby learned quick to not squat in front of him. ROFL

He is good though. No scours. Very alert and active. Not at all happy about the playpen so we let him wander our bathroom as long as we are close. Also no interest in the hay but he's only 4 days old.
20190110_200922.jpg

Still needs a name, something with 'ram' in it. We have Ramses and Rambo so far. :)

Attachments

• 20190110_171641.jpg
    20190110_171641.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 255

Latest posts