Lamb needs help ASAP!

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. Its hard when they go. You tried everything you could though, and it's not your fault. :hugs

It sounds like little Poppy had pneumonia... I delt with a lamb who had it not too long ago. Hers was from fluid in the lungs from birth, and they did treat her with antibiotics. The only advice I can give is if you see anything like it again call the vet and take the lamb in asap. Head bent low, drooling, everything you said resembled the lamb I helped.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. Its hard when they go. You tried everything you could though, and it's not your fault. :hugs

It sounds like little Poppy had pneumonia... I delt with a lamb who had it not too long ago. Hers was from fluid in the lungs from birth, and they did treat her with antibiotics. The only advice I can give is if you see anything like it again call the vet and take the lamb in asap. Head bent low, drooling, everything you said resembled the lamb I helped.
Thats exactly what he had :(

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm SO sorry.
The mortality from lamb pneumonia is 50% or more and is often related to inhaling fluids during birth. When they are over 4 weeks of age there are a variety of infections which cause pneumonia, and they really only show signs of illness when the disease is advanced. I lost a couple of dear lambs within days of each other a few weeks back. A similar thing developed in two of my lambs which I had bottle-reared,but,as they always came over to me as their adoptive mother, I picked up the rapid breathing,sticky eyes, cough and frothy mouth that so often precede lamb collapse. They both responded well to antibiotics.
There really was nothing more that you could have done for your lamb and,unfortunately, life is never fair.
My thoughts are with you.