Lamb with diareah

KatahdinMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh no! I have a week old lamb with diareah. The mom is being a good mom, producing milk, no mastitis. I've seen the lamb nursing.
It's been blustery and raining so I have kept them in the barn. I had planned to wait until the rain let up later in the week to release them to pasture. Any ideas? How can i help?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have goats but really the same...

A week is really early for most of the normal causes of scours to show up. The most usual cause is coccidia or a diet change but not a a week of age. Check the lambs temperature, around 102 is normal. At this age I would be worried abut bacterial infection and you will have to get a stool sample into a vet to get the right kinds of meds. What color are the scours?

Is the lamb acting normal otherwise?

I had a set of triplets this year that had scours starting at about a week. I tried everything I could think of. They were also acting off and not baby goat like at all. I finally treated them with Scour Halt and got it under control, I believe it was ecoli.

KatahdinMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

A week is really early for most of the normal causes of scours to show up. The most usual cause is coccidia or a diet change but not a a week of age. Check the lambs temperature, around 102 is normal. At this age I would be worried abut bacterial infection and you will have to get a stool sample into a vet to get the right kinds of meds. What color are the scours?

I had a set of triplets this year that had scours starting at about a week. I tried everything I could think of. They were also acting off and not baby goat like at all. I finally treated them with Scour Halt and got it under control, I believe it was ecoli.
Completely normal behavior. Not lethargic, even jumping around. I figure I've probably caught it early and so other symptoms haven't set in. Is scour halt over the counter or do I need to go the vet? The scours are light yellow/brown in color.

KatahdinMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

I can get to a vet tomorrow. Should I supplement electrolytes or anything until then?
Thank you so much for your response btw!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
What color and texture poop are we talking about? Bright orange and sticky or a bit runny, it's probably just that the ewe is heavy producer and the lamb is getting more than enough milk. Black/brown/gray/green nasty poop means you've got something else going on.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just saw your post about the color. Yellow/light brown is probably ok. My general protocol in this kind of situation is to just observe. If symptoms change/get worse than I get the vet involved.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Listen to @purplequeen, she has raised A LOT of lambs. I would take the temp. just to have a baseline and continue to observe. I have never seen a kid scour from too much milk from mom but goats are raised to make milk so maybe the kids are raised to drink more of it. :) It is a good that he is active, that is great sign. My kids were not, they were very quiet, I knew they didn't feel well.

Scour Halt is available over the counter. It is for pigs and used off lable for other animals. Supposed to have a vet in order to do that but sometimes we do what we have to. I bet though that your little lamb will be fine.

KatahdinMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@purplequeenvt @babsbag I just wanted to say thanks and offer an update!

The little lamb (Muffin) is great. I removed the alfalfa pellets from mom's diet and the diareah stopped completely. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts