1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lamb wool loss on eyes and ears

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Sheep' started by Danner, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Aug 18, 2019
    Danner

Danner Exploring the pasture

I have a lamb that has lost wool on ears and around eyes. It has been fairly rapid (2-3 days). This lamb was recently treated 3 weeks ago for parasites due to anemia.Any ideas as to cause and treating? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Aug 18, 2019
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape Herd Master

Ectoparasites are the most common cause....any other sheep affected? Ringworm, scab, lice most common causes.

Anaemia itself can make animals a bit itchy at times, but it usually doesn't look like these discrete patches of wool loss. Take a close look to see if you can see lice/louse faeces. Skin scrapings will confirm scab (vet examines under the microscope). Ringworm usually has fairly discrete patches with a margin.

3. Aug 18, 2019
    Danner

Danner Exploring the pasture

Thanks for the reply, Sheepshape. No other sheep affected. I did not see any lice poop. You might be right about the ringworm. I am going to isolate him and use a spray to see if it helps.