Lambing time!!

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok here they are... pics of my very small, skinny lamb...
20201107_081921.jpg

Attachments

• 20201107_081929.jpg
    20201107_081929.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20201107_081917.jpg
    20201107_081917.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 72

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing a great job. Continue to try to feed her naturally and milk down mum and bottle feed her if she takes insufficient.
Hey...the lamb in my Avatar weighed (quick conversion in head) about 440g (just under a pound) in a breed where the average lamb weight is over 4 kg. She is one huge fat ewe who has produce lambs in two consecutive years now.
She has a good chance of making it.

Last edited:

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You are doing a great job. Continue to try to feed her naturally and milk down mum and bottle feed her if she takes insufficient.
Hey...the lamb in my Avatar weighed (quick conversion in head) about 440g (just under a pound) in a breed where the average lamb weight is over 4 kg. She is one hug fat ewe who has produce lambs in two consecutive years now.
She has a good chance of making it.
Wow that is micro mini.... this little one cant latch on as yet but she is getting stronger by the minute... hope it continues...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You just got encouragement from @Sheepshape and she is the champion of the lost, the ones that nobody else would even try with. A pat on the back from her is priceless. You are on the right track. Keep going.

Two years ago one of my ewes has twins, one big beautiful ewe lamb, dead, and one scrawny tiny ram lamb, too weak to stand and suck. I buried the dead lamb and proceeded to capture the ewe. Milking her was a rodeo, had to tie her to a cow panel, head, shoulders and back end. I milked her, squeezed drops into the lambs mouth, 1 or 2 at a time. In 2 days, I was rewarded by Bunny standing and sucking. I named him Bunny because he was about the size of a cottontail Bunny. LOL Eve was so proud of Bunny, loved him dearly and was a good mom. He was her first. Then she had big healthy twins and is bred now.

I didn’t know that about checking for baby teeth, learned something new. I love the people on this forum, we share knowledge, success and failure. We all learn from one another.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not having teeth is not a good indication of prematurity.

Based off your pictures, I’d guess the issue is actually that the lamb had a poor placental attachment and didn’t get full nutrition from mom. Unless there’s a serious deficiency, she should get strong quickly with all your good help!

We had a tiny lamb a few years ago who was the only survivor out a set of triplets. Her siblings were both dead and rotten at birth and she was tiniest thing and couldn’t stand for a week and a half. She’s grown into a normal sheep who is raising nice lambs of her own now.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good job on the lamb! Keep her with mom and hope for suckling soon. Help and encourage. :hugs:love

I have had only the occasional need to help with my goats but, many years of min horses gave me a lot of experience in those prayerful, long, messy and sleepless nights in the barn with a preemie foal. It's always worth it in the end! :yesss:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let's see...... people came together on this one thread from 3 different countries, isn't that wonderful?

Glad that I can bring a smile to you.