Lambing

RockyTopFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello. :)
New member here and first time lambing. She looks like a blimp and has had me checking constantly the last few days. Her back ends is puffy and she has bagged up and is pretty restless today - like she was determined to dig through the stall mats under the hay. She's still eating but much smaller amounts more often. I've seen her brace with her back legs and lift her butt while laying down several times today. How do I know when it's not just discomfort and actual labor?
She's a 2-3yo katahdin /possibly X and has had 1 previous lamb that we know. We have her here too.
Thanks for any advice or help!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to BYH from CA.

If she were a goat I would say today or tonight. Once mine start nesting labor is close. Also, the bracing is a pretty good sign that labor is really close, and possibly already started.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, RockyTopFarm.

As babsbag says....I'd expect a sac to appear any second... Take a few pics. if you can, but sounds as though she is in active labour. With Braxton-Hicks contractions the ewe doesn't lie down and strain, she just stops what she's doing for a while and looks a 'bit troubled'.

Be ready to give her a hand if the lamb(s) are backwards...bum first..a gentle lift out and sweep the membranes from the mouth and nose before giving the lamb to mum to lick off.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Status report? Has she had the lambs yet? Hope all is well. :fl:pop

RockyTopFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nope nothing! She ate her am hay like a hog. I've got her in the barn in a horse stall bc it was extremely cold here - only 6* one morning and we aren't getting much above 20* during the day. I'm checking her almost hourly during the day. She's very petite but enormous so I'm concerned she may have a huge one in there. Hoping it's 2 and not 1 humongous lamb. But I want to be there if she needs help.

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 123

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a couple that looked and acted like they should have delivered yesterday but went on for a couple more days. If she is fairly tame be available if she needs help or better yet get her into a shelter out of the wind if you have one.

RockyTopFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's in the barn in her own stall
It's 9* here

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That poor girl looks like a wool covered balloon! I can only imagine how much better she'll feel once that load is pushed out! Thanks for the pic. Hope she goes soon for you.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:weee:love:clap:celebrate Congrats! Do you think she's gonna be a double? Maybe another coming? Hope they're both ewe lambs for you! :fl

Latest posts