"Lammie" sheep? goat? Geep? 🧐

Amelia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!
My Mom has been raising goats and sheep for almost 30 years, in the same fields but they tend to do their own things. Nothing like this has happened before, here. Pure bred Kathadin sheep and pure bred Nubians and Saanens tend to have different interests and they never mingled much before this past year.
Despite her efforts to keep him away it seems that her Katahdin ram and one of her Saanens got together while the ram was with the sheep?
This year's kids brought "Lammie" into the world... Born with a completely Saanen (looking) brother Lammie looks like a sheep, hence the name.
She's wearing a sweater in the photo, she's always cold, but she has Katahdin fleece on her body and even looks physically different than her brother and Mother.
Has anyone ever had this cross before? Any advice would be appreciated!

Update:
At over 4 months old Lammie is only just now the size of a 2 month old, for the past month she has been being treated for what started as a hair and skin issue; long story short, it seems like her body is killing itself.
We are sad to learn her fate is officially sealed. 💐
I am not sure that I should post the photo :confused: taken yesterday. She is covered in scabs from the abrasions that ruptured all over her skin a few weeks ago. In the interest of still finding out what her genetics actually are we are going to save some samples from her body after she passes, so that we can test it when we have the money for such a thing.

IMG_20220307_102405~2.jpg

😑😟

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello!
My Mom has been raising goats and sheep for almost 30 years, in the same fields but they tend to do their own things. Nothing like this has happened before, here. Pure bred Kathadin sheep and pure bred Nubians and Saanens tend to have different interests and they never mingled much before this past year.
Despite her efforts to keep him away it seems that her Katahdin ram and one of her Saanens got together while the ram was with the sheep?
This year's kids brought "Lammie" into the world... Born with a completely Saanen (looking) brother Lammie looks like a sheep, hence the name.
She's wearing a sweater in the photo, she's always cold, but she has Katahdin fleece on her body and even looks physically different than her brother and Mother.
Has anyone ever had this cross before? Any advice would be appreciated!
View attachment 89772
I would have thought it would be completely geneticly impossible.

:idunno

Amelia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would have thought it would be completely geneticly impossible.

:idunno
Right? We didn't think anything could come of the pair even if they did mate, it was not encouraged though.
We're not too sure of her needs and outcome; any advice anyone?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is only one living, DNA lab tested, proven geep alive in the usa. And it is a Babydoll cross to a goat. A breeder I bought one of my sheep from.

It's exceedingly rare and most are flat out lies, with owner refusing testing, or confused owners that just mistook a different breed ram bred their ewe.

Unless you send samples to a lab, it's just a sheep and the wrong ram got her knocked up.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
More info.

Spring Rose is her name, Nigerian Dwarf Doe and a black Babydoll Southdown ram are her parenta.

Edit, it is the only known confirmed geep on Earth.

They sent hair samples to UC Davis for DNA parentage testing & ruled out all of their bucks.
Then sent blood to Texas A&M for a karyotype. "The researchers, led by Terje Raudsepp are very excited! They asked us if they could have a skin biopsy done on “Baby,” as well as blood-tests done on her, her sire, Elder, and Jenna. We took all three to the vet for these tests. “Baby” now has 8,000,000 cells frozen for future research. The researchers are mapping Baby, Jenna, and Elder’s whole Genome Sequence. According to an Italian researcher, Alfredo Pauciullo, who also studies geeps, “Baby” is at this time the only verified geep in the entire world. This researcher studied a German verified geep, who sadly passed away during a pregnancy and with toxemia. Texas A&M told us they had done tests on 19 suspected geeps, over 20 years, but all tests were negative."

Amelia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There is only one living, DNA lab tested, proven geep alive in the usa. And it is a Babydoll cross to a goat. A breeder I bought one of my sheep from.

It's exceedingly rare and most are flat out lies, with owner refusing testing, or confused owners that just mistook a different breed ram bred their ewe.

Unless you send samples to a lab, it's just a sheep and the wrong ram got her knocked up

Amelia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In fairness she is a 'goat', she was born to a Saanen goat, but we don't really have $13000 to test her.
Would then someone know of any scientific research being done on sheep-like creatures being born to pure bread goats? Right now she is set to be sent off for meat in two months with the ram lambs and bucks (assuming she lives)... If she is as rare as she might be maybe someone could give her a life.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
In fairness she is a 'goat', she was born to a Saanen goat, but we don't really have $13000 to test her.
Would then someone know of any scientific research being done on sheep-like creatures being born to pure bread goats? Right now she is set to be sent off for meat in two months with the ram lambs and bucks (assuming she lives)... If she is as rare as she might be maybe someone could give her a life.
Why do you think it costs 13k to test?

Google shows its 300.

If she knows who the suspected sire is, regular parentage testing is even cheaper.

But if they're just for meat, I wouldn't bother. Not like you'll make bank off of her.

Amelia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Why do you think it costs 13k to test?

Google shows its 300.

If she knows who the suspected sire is, regular parentage testing is even cheaper.

But if they're just for meat, I wouldn't bother. Not like you'll make bank off of her.
She wouldn't typically be meat but since she's not a purebred it's not like she can be sold as a purebred for anything and she has the temperament of a sheep so she's not much of a pet either. Thank you for the advice on the testing! The only testing I could find started at 11000.

Latest posts