Large Blacks

enggass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey all looking for feedback on LBs... I have raised some AGHs before for meat, but am now considering LBs. How large do they get and how long to grow out? Are they good foragers? I hear they are quite docile. How is the meat? Is there lots of Lard like AGHs? Do they handle acorns well? Just looking for some feedback from those who have raised...
Thanks,
Steve

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend just got one to cross with his Duroc boar but I have no personal experience. My husband met someone who said it was the only pork they would eat, they said they have amazing meat. They grow like a full size hog and are not a lard type. I hope this link works, I am on a smart phone so who knows...

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/largeblack

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are wanting flavor, consider Berkshires also. They are the preferred breed/meat in Japan and the Berkshire assoc was co-ordinating to get enough berkshire hog meat to export to Japan at one time. Don't know of that is still something working. The thing about them, the meat tends to actually "marble" a bit and has a good flavor and is tender. I had a couple of Berkshires and they did good. Never got into breeding for purebred or for anything more than feeder pigs to sell. They had decent size litters and were good mommas. I have heard that the large blacks are just that, large; and that they are good dispositioned and a good forage hog. I'd look them up and get in contact with the breed assoc if you seriously want them; find out if there are any somewhat close to you and go see them.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like crossing breeds personally, we will be breeding our gilts to a part Berkshire boar when they get big enough. I love my Old Spot crosses. I just have to have some old spot in there. They can be a little more fatty but they tend to be good foragers and friendly as well.